I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing resource
Posted by: Wes Woods (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 08:23PM

Hey all,
I have mostly used rod building books and other rods as well as some trial and error for guide spacing.
Just wondering if there are any online set up resources I may be missing out on or what you all might be using.
My current build is a 7 foot super light spin-cast so its slightly lighter than previous rods, hence kind of proceeding with caution.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing resource
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 08:44PM

Just above your post on the right is the Library, great source for many things rod building. Look near the bottom for the article on "Static Guide Placement." Works on any rod.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 11, 2020 09:12PM

Yes there are online resources. For instance you might preform a search on this forum. Type in the topic of your choice, set for all dates, and hit search. You could also study this page and find info that relates to your question. Look around a little.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 12, 2020 09:25AM

Keep in mind that all the resources on line may not be from people who are all that expert. The instructions here and at places like Anglers Resource are obviously done by experts, and I'll stick with them.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 12, 2020 11:25AM

Considering all the combinations of rod configurations, there is no true and fast formula for guide spacing.

The source of the information be it from amateurs or experts doesn't matter because it will be treated as a starting point for your build.

Search the online resources and select one of the spacing schemes which favors your components and temporally set up the guides, then test it with the reel and line you intend to use. Now make any adjustments if necessary.

You may go to the sporting good store and measure the guide spacing of a high end rod that is similar to your rod and start with that.

Good luck

John

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2020 12:04PM

Wes,

What works for me, (if guide spacing is not available from the blank manufacturer), is to resort to Mudhole Guide spacing for a similar rod blank. I temporarily wrap the guides on the blank in the positions suggested by the Mudhole guide spacing recommendations. I use elastic thread or the Micro Guide Bands for this purpose. I then static load the rod blank, (explanations available herein), with a reel in place and thread the line through the guides in their temporary positions. Then I adjust the guides up or down the blank to achieve a consistent parabolic curve of the line passing through the guides. I will add or remove guides, as necessary. Works great for me!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: January 12, 2020 12:51PM

My guide spacing resource is a rod holder, some weights and a roll of tape. Works perfectly every time.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 12, 2020 05:39PM

I use a software that is not from one of the sponsors on the left. Basically it gives me a graduated spacing on how many guides I will be using and the distance from the tip that will get me in the ball park and it is on an Excel spreadsheet format. It will always need to be tweaked in order to perform at its best and you will always need to do a static load test. There is other software that will do the same thing but you will need to look for it on the internet and then decide if it will help you. You need to take measurements on other rods that work and use that as your base for different actions and power. Find what works best for you because there is no one way to do it.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2020 08:45AM

you can find some good spacing info On Batson's web site on spacing for their blanks which will work for good starting points for other similar blanks.

[batsonenterprises.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster