I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel recommendation
Posted by: sean flynn (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 09:06AM

mornin any reel recommendations for a 5'6" spinning rod 4-8lb test

thanks much S. Flynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel recommendation
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 09:23AM

I would say the Shimano 1000 series size or equivalent will work fine.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 11, 2020 09:36AM

Agree. I've gotten very partial to Daiwas-everything BC or spin I have is smooth as silk and very durable, based on my older ones. Look for sales. And you don't have to go to the top of the line to get an excellent reel. Of course for ultra-light, that's true for any brand, stresses are low.

Posted by: Steven Corvin (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 10:29AM

I have both Shimano Sedona and Stradic 1000 reels on lightweight rods. The Sedona for a low end reel ($79) performs amazingly well.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 02:18PM

Sean,
If you wait long enough, you will undoubtedly receive replies suggesting every reel out there = there is a lot of brand-loyalty and personal preference. As with John, Michael and Steven, I have quite a few Shimano and Diawa reels and although not very expensive, all perform very well for many years. Recently, I tried a Lew’s Laser Speed Spin 100 ($40.00) and was so impressed, I bought three more for my grandkids. It is certainly not the lightest (8oz) but 7+1 bearings makes it work very nicely. Lew’s has spin reels priced from $25.00 - $130.00 and if the lower-priced ones perform so nicely, the top-of-the-line reels must be exceptional.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 11, 2020 02:38PM

Daiwa, Shimano or Lews.

Posted by: Steven Bloomfield (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 11, 2020 03:46PM

Pflueger Presidents are excellent reels for the money.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 06:18PM

I've always liked the Diawa Tournament SS, the SS700, has the right capacity, the right weight, and just looks like it belongs on a rod of that size. It's been in the Diawa line up since the beginning of the long spool reels in the U.S. in the late 80's. Got to be doing something right to still be around.

Posted by: Don Mang (---)
Date: January 12, 2020 05:32AM

I like going old school. Mitchell 204 or 308, the vintage one's are work horses! Don't be afraid to repair one, go to Mitchell Reel Museum.com.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 05:33AM by Don Mang.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.orlf.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2020 06:02PM

I wanted the lightest reel available that I could afford and went with an Okuma RTX 30. I'd rather have a Shimano Stradic Ci4 but couldn't swing it.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---.orlf.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2020 07:24PM

I wanted the lightest reel available that I could afford and went with an Okuma RTX 30. I'd rather have a Shimano Stradic Ci4 but couldn't swing it.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 13, 2020 07:37PM

Don't go old school! Think positive anti-reverse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2020 07:40PM by Lynn Behler.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2020 02:47AM

DAIWA SS TOURNAMENT,SS700 and ABU-CARDINAL stamina drag,MODEL 600U.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster