I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GEN 4 (Coming Soon)
Posted by: Bingham Ent (---)
Date: January 10, 2020 05:43PM

Generation 4, the newest rod finish to come out on the market in years. XAR means Extreme Air Release. This new rod finish being developed will be the end of all air bubble issues that give many rod builders the biggest problems. Mix like any other finish then pour onto foil and you can virtually watch the bubbles release. After mixing gently for about 3 minutes, there were about 8 or so bubbles in the cup. Poured it in a foul dish and let it set for a couple of minutes and not a single bubble left. Bubble free and clear.
Pot life 30 minutes and can be ready for a second coat, in four hours or less depending on temperature.
Blue React Technology. It’s a blue tinted chemical added to the resin to help differentiate the 2 parts because both parts are water clear. Mix until the blue disappears and you are good to go.
This new formula was developed by Andy Dear, who was the originator of THREADMASTER many years ago.
Currently available in HiBuild- Lite formula will be coming in the Spring

Generation 4 HighBuild will be available for sale by the 1st week in February - contact me by email below for details.

Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises
binghamenterprisesks@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GEN 4 (Coming Soon)
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 10, 2020 06:09PM

I can tell you I have been lucky enough to have received a sample to try. I am “that guy” who mixes his finish to a cake batter consistency with a round wooden stick. This is without doubt the finest finish I have tried. I am a LONG time user of Threadmaster and I have found my new epoxy. Gen4 has every aspect I love about Threadmaster with unprecedented bubble release. It levels incredibly well (the best I have experienced) is very tough, has great clarity and uv resistance and I love the tint, its an indicator of when it’s fully mixed. I generally mixed 50 revolutions in each direction for 5 sets (250 revolution in all for each direction)

I found the finish not to creep up the foot of your guides, had superb coverage in one coat with phenomenal bubble release.

During my evaluation I slobbered on WAY too much finish on decals, letting it sag to the bottom, drip and then I wiped off the excess. Once I had wiped excess I then turned on dryer without further touching and it produced the smoothest decals I have done. This was over approximately an 8” section.

I am someone who likes to try new things and this is without doubt a fantastic product. I couldn’t be happier that I tried it. I really wish I hadn’t just purchased a half gallon kit of Threadmaster, it’s just gonna sit and collect dust from this point on.

I am not sponsored nor affiliated with this company, this is simply an evaluation of what I consider to be the absolute best finish on the market

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2020 10:47PM

What would you compare the consistency to? I tend to prefer a lite build. But if I would like to find a Hi build that levels well for me. This sounds like it might be worth a try.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 10, 2020 11:03PM

Bingham Ent. and Thomas,
Both of you certainly have my curiosity up! It would be difficult to award “the overall best thread finish” with so many varied-on-the-same-theme available products presently on the market compounded by the different desires/requirements of different rod builders. I have yet to discover the ultimate thread finish which affords a 30 minute pot life / 20hr (preliminary) cure time, bubble free, excellent self-leveling/flow out, UV fortified, non-yellowing and flexible end result. While many claim to provide, such may not always be the case.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2020 11:29AM

I talked with Andy at length the other night about this new product, I'm pretty enthused to try it out and I should have a sample in the next couple of weeks. The short version of what we chatted about, If you like Threadmaster finish, you'll like this better. Longer working time (pot life) than Threadmaster Lite, better bubble release, and short cure time, shorter than Regular Threadmaster and around the same viscosity as Regular Threadmaster.
He did say that a Lite version was in the works, so just echoing Bingham Ent post.

He sent me pictures of the 2 parts before mixing, yep, one is "blue", but the mix is water clear. I've been a dyed in the wool Threadmaster user and cannot wait to give a try.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2020 11:55AM

I am really looking forward to trying this product. I too have been a long time user and advocate of Threadmaster. Lately I have been using the CTS Crystal Coat which has some great characteristics, but the exceeding long cure time presents a serious problem.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 02:29PM

I agree 100% with Phil except prior to CTS, I was using ProKote. Is it (at least the high-build) available now?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: January 11, 2020 02:35PM

Michael, the consistency is close to high build Threadmaster yet I found that it leveled even better than the Threadmaster.

Mark, yes it may well be hard to award “the best “ however I am pretty sure I have tried every finish out there currently (and a few that are now defunct).. It provided for me the the best overall performance of all that I’ve used to date. Please understand I gain nothing by speaking out about this finish. I am only doing so as I believe this is a product that can benefit any rod builder. When I first joined this site there were countless times I was helped and wished someday to be able to do the same. This is my opportunity and my drive to do so.

Bill, the bubble release is unmatched I too have always adored most every aspect of Threadmaster, my chief complaint was the bubbles. With the Gen 4 I have all the aspects that I enjoyed earlier with the added benefit of no bubble issues.

Phil, I too have tried the CTS but the cure time absolutely does not work for my needs. Give the Gen4 a shot I truly feel you will very pleased with the results.

Take care,
Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2020 03:51PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---)
Date: January 15, 2020 09:33PM

Consider me officially intrigued!!!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 15, 2020 10:00PM

No doubt I will try it.
Norm

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: February 18, 2020 03:18PM

Anyone know if Bingham has this in stock yet, sent multiple emails but got no response.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster