I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork and Acrylic Handle
Posted by: Chase Timmons (199.244.3.---)
Date: January 10, 2020 04:34PM

Hey fellas,

I'm thinking about turning some acrylic and making some rings to add into handles. I'm trying to think through the best process and have a couple questions... I was thinking that i can turn the acrylic and drill and cut into rings first. Then i would glue up the handle in whatever order/combonation of cork and acrylic that I desire. At this point i would have the acrylic sanded to a pretty high grit so i would just need to sand the whole handle down to shape. My concern is that the cork might be removed much faster or more than the acrylic. Is this something you just have to be careful and take it slow? Or is there a better way than what i am thinking. Thanks!

-Chase

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork and Acrylic Handle
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 10, 2020 05:20PM

Your concern is correct, the cork will abrade faster than the acrylic. I suggest you stack the acrylic rings on a mandrel and turn/sand until the OD is to size. Then assemble the cork and acrylic rings and carefully trun/sand the cork to the same diameter as the acrylic.

I am not comfortable with combining materials with such a great difference of composition and hardness. But if done carefully it will be awesome.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 05:21PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 10, 2020 08:31PM

To avoid having the cork abrade below the surface of the acrylic, have the sandpaper backed by something flat and solid. I use a piece of a paint stirring paddle I get from my local hardware store. Even with this, care must be taken to keep the two very different materials level.!

John's suggestion above works well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2020 11:56AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2020 11:10AM

I only build fly rods for performance now - no heavy grip components.
But when I did I used some sort of medium density ring between the stabilized wood and the cork to act as a buffer. Most of the time is was exotic cork - a dense composit. I don't think that would look very good with acrylic and cork though. Maybe you can think of something.
Herb

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 11, 2020 05:41PM

Couple thoughts. Perhaps turn the acrylic undersized by a fair amount. Assemble and turn the cork as you plan. Then tape off the cork on either side of the acrylic ring. Do a few coats of rod finish over the acrylic to bring it up level with the cork.

Other thought comes from a rod I built make a fair number of years. Clemens offered various lengths of small cork sections. They had a collar on each end that was sized to fit a small nylon trim ring between the cork sections. The outer edge of the cork section had a nice beveled edge. The trim ring sat below the surface of the cork. Made for a nice real nice feeling grip and looked fairly sharp as well. The nylon rings could be dyed whatever color you wanted with RIT dye.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---)
Date: January 12, 2020 09:18PM

I build all of my grips with burled cork and acrylic. I glue up all of my grip pieces comprised of blocks of birch bark and burled cork and bands of acrylic . I then use lathe tools to get the general shape I'm after and then spend some time sanding with various grits. After final sanding, I buff my thin acrylic bands by rotating the handle at a very slow setting and run my dremmel tool with small buffing wheel counter direction to the lathe rotation. I then apply grip oils/stains and sealants to the grip.
Point being, you can shape all of these different materials together during the grip turning process.

Posted by: Chase Timmons (199.48.25.---)
Date: January 13, 2020 11:56AM

Thanks for the great responses. Looks like i am headed down the right path especially with your suggestions. I'll just have to try a few and see how they turn out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster