I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DC motor conversion for new Alps wrapper
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 09, 2020 10:35PM

I received a new ALps wrapper, but wanted better speed control so I converted it to a DC motor system.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The change includes a new pedal, control box with speed controller and a Pittman gear drive dc motor.
Depending on the belt position, the starting rpm is 4.5 - 13 rpm. Also, it has a reversing switch to easily reverse the motor direction.

When I built the system, I put 10 foot cables on the system control box. This allows the control box to be moved up and down the rod as one works to have the reversing switch close at hand if needed.

The following link is a video of the conversion in action:

[www.amazon.com]

Best wishes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2020 10:41PM by roger wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DC motor conversion for new Alps wrapper
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: January 09, 2020 10:39PM

Thank you Roger!!

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ff.avast.com)
Date: January 10, 2020 08:23AM

For those wanting something like this in commercial form the people at Anglers Workshop sell the complete unit ready to go. They had some at the expo last year and I believe they sold out. Had some additional nice features as well. It is made for a quick bolt in installation on any of these type wrapping machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2020 08:23AM by Mike Ballard.

Posted by: Mark D Schulte (---)
Date: January 10, 2020 02:18PM

Nice work Roger. Might I ask where you found the components

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 10, 2020 05:13PM

Roger is a maestro with fabricating in general, electronics in particular. That is why I employed him to figure out the required potentiometers, resistors and such when I fabricated my wrapper upgrade to include lathe capability as well. Every aspect turned out perfectly and I would not have expected anything less from Roger. Thanks yet again, Roger.
Considering the electronic aspect, there is often much more to it than 95% of people even begin to have a clue about. As Roger, my Dad was an Electrical Engineer so I absorbed some knowledge, often only enough to get myself in trouble. The smart man knows his limitations and then does not attempt to exceed them!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 11, 2020 01:03AM

Mark,
Surplus stores and on line

Posted by: Christopher Zucker (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 26, 2022 02:25PM

I'm curious about what motor folks have used for this sort of upgrade. I tried a 550rpm DC motor that I have laying around and it was way louder than the stock sewing machine motor. . . .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster