I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mounting the Sea Guide XCSS reel seat
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.cpe.sparklight.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 07:09PM

This reel seat only comes in two sizes, 16 and 17, per Sea Guide’s web site. As an exposed blank seat, how is it to be mounted on rods other than one of those two sizes? I just took advantage of NFC’s offer on free grip and reel seat with the order of an X-ray blank. Got it really quickly. Only problem is the seat they sent fits at 5” from the butt. Not good on a 7’10” rod. The SG site says the size 16 has an id of 15 mm and this one absolutely does. But it needs to fit on the blank at a point measuring 13.5 mm to match the soft grip they sent which is 9.75 long. Am I missing something? Shouldn’t exposed blank reel seats come in various id sizes? Or, is there an insert that goes in this casting reel seat? Which would no longer make it an exposed blank as SG boasts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mounting the Sea Guide XCSS reel seat
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 07:42PM

I would suspect it requires an insert. Were it a true exposed blank seat you'd have to provide the o.d. of the blank where you wanted it to sit when ordering.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 08:46PM

Did they offer the insert? I have been looking at that but thinking of cutting it up to make a slit grip.

Posted by: Arthur Lin (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 10:34PM

XCSS seat is not made to be a blank through, as Lynn and Lance suggest you need an insert. [rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

We do make a blank through model, no insert needed, SAS to fit the blank. [rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

American Rodbuilders Warehouse

Date: January 09, 2020 05:29AM

This is from sea guides web site. Check out the 3rd Feature. It is a blank through, most reel seats are. But it is supposed to be an “exposed blank”

Product Description New Concept Trigger Casting Reel Seat

Ingenious design and unique shape
Elaborate seat body and lighter weight increases rods performance.
Blank-exposed design allows trigger finger to be in direct touch the blank to improve the sensitivity of lure and strikes
Reinforced nylon body with new type special slidable hood/nut, and without level difference between them
Unique Hood Localization Structure (HLS) on screw pipe improves the strength and stability of reel when locking
New shape trigger and ergonomic design give better handling and reduce fatigue

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 09, 2020 01:58PM

None of those fancy seats I know of are without inserts. I can modify a exposed blank reel seat to give me a lot more blank contact and decrease weight in 15 minutes for a bunch less money. Been done for decades and an article was done on it in RodMaker magazine some time ago.

Date: January 09, 2020 04:56PM

Thanks all. I’ll go to the old faithful (Fuji) and put on something even better. Chalk this one up to lesson learned. The NFC X-ray blank though is super saweeeeet! The soft grip is interesting also. Customer will let me know more on that. I’ll likely buy more of these blanks, but not for this reel seat.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 09, 2020 05:48PM

Greg, you are correct in that these are in no way exposed blank seats even though they are clearly described as such. If they need an insert (which they fail to mention) that would make them exposed insert seats. I have fallen into this trap myself with the spin seats. I got around it, but it was a real PIA!

Posted by: Rick Hall (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 10, 2020 08:55AM

Hello Guys,

You are correct on the wording in the catalog, it is misleading. I have sent a request to have it changed in the catalog and hope it is in time for the 2020 that is going to print.

Sorry for any inconvenience, I sent you an email and I will happily send you an insert.

Best regards,

Rick Hall
Global Sales Manager
SeaGuide Corporation
406-750-2122
www.sea-guide.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster