I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Epoxy on Matte Finish Blanks
Posted by: Butch Cross (192.132.205.---)
Date: January 08, 2020 09:48AM

Started to apply epoxy on thread last night and noticed where I marked the spine the residual from the mark is bleeding thru or showing. I cleaned all my marks rubbing thread across them first and then wiping with alcohol. I don’t see anything where I marked guide placement but now concerned that there’s still some residual left on the blank. This is the first matte blank that I’ve used is there some additional prep on theses types of blanks. Also can I clean with something else to remove any remaining marks.

Thanks

Re: Thread Epoxy on Matte Finish Blanks
Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2020 10:22AM

What are you using to make the mark? We like to mark with a black sharpie on the blank were the base of the guide foot will just cover it.

Denatured alcohol will take off most anything with ease and isn't as harsh as acetone.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: January 08, 2020 10:32AM

John, I’m using a white marking pencil. The alcohol does seem to clean it, at least from what I can see. I’ve gone back and cleaned everything again and it almost looks like a stain in the rod finish. Never had this happen before. Will look at using something else for future builds. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Butch Cross

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 08, 2020 10:39AM

I use a water color pencil for marking guide placement on my blanks. A damp cloth easily removes the marks. As John mentions denatured alcohol should remove marks made by most types of marking pens. For tip-top/reel seat alignment, I wrap a piece of blue masking tape around the blank and mark alignment with a sharpie on it rather than on the blank.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 11:53AM

Alcohol will not clean off all the grease in a white marking pencil! Will remove the coloring, but not all the grease. I have found a product called "Goo Gone" to be the best for your purpose.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.hstntx.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 11:56AM

Acetone works better than DA on markers.

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2020 12:01PM

We also like a citrus based cleaner like Zep or Goo Gone Citrus.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 08, 2020 12:19PM

If using a grease pencil then goo gone or goof off will work well. In any case, I would get rid of the grease pencil, I dislike them. I much prefer the water color pencils.

Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 08, 2020 01:16PM

Butch,
To avoid such an issue, I never put any marks on the blank with anything.

Rather, I use 1/8th inch wide striping masking tape to mark the placement of all of my guide and spine if I am marking the spine.

[www.google.com]

I also do not leave the masking tape on the blank for any length of time. If tape is left on anything for a long time, the adhesive will harden, the tape gets brittle and it can cause issues for removal. But, normally when building a rod, a rod is marked and then built with normally no more than a week between marking and the final build completion.

In addition -
I use two fluids in rod building.
Denatured alcohol for much of my cleaning and clean up chores.

But, for severe cleanups and for epoxy cleaning etc. I use XYLENE to clean up. this product will completely clean up all residue that might be left on the rod. Be aware - however, that this product may affect the finish on some rod blanks - in the same way that Acetone or Lacquer cleaner may affect paint finish.

Best wishes.

Date: January 08, 2020 03:47PM

Thanks everyone for all the great info, the marking pencil has been retired. Have a sharpie and tape ready to go for the next build. Had some citrus cleaner for the boat that seemed to do the trick on getting rid of the residual.

Butch

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: January 15, 2020 07:54PM

I use a dry erase marker from a message board and remove it with alcohol . Works great .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2020 07:55PM by ron zimmerman.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster