I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light suggestions
Posted by: John Duncan (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 04:14AM

Would anyone care to share if they are using any special lamp or lights to improve rod building .
Looking at the Ott and Phive product

Thank you
J duncan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light suggestions
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 08:05AM

This is the Ott light that I have clipped onto my small portable wrapping table that I use for all my wrapping. I only build 4 pc fly rods - if I can help it - so I can work smaller than others.
[products.ottlite.com]

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.122.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 08:07AM

I installed LED overhead lights in my 10x20 shop and it does great for all the general things. I use two vice-mounted magnifier with a circular light around the lens for anything up close, one for the base of the rod and the other for the top portion of the rod. This works for me because the swivel arm isn't long enough to be used for the entire length of the rod. Others here have mentioned the head-mounted magnifiers like jewelers use. Not familiar with Ott or Phive.

Date: January 07, 2020 08:17AM

Thank you
J d

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (165.225.48.---)
Date: January 07, 2020 08:38AM

I use the round magnifying light also. I replaced the bulb with an LED and the light is more crisp

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 07, 2020 09:29AM

I use a pair of Halogen Swing arm lights that work close to the rod, without getting in the way.
I have 4 foot lights every 4 feet in the ceiling for general lighting as well.
I have found that for myself, it works best to have the light on the side of the work that is not my wrapping hand. In my case, I use my left hand to wrap. Therefore, I place the light on the right side of the guide being wrapped, so that my hand does not put a shadow on the work.
It just so happened that the base of the light is the same size as the bottom of a 3 lb coffee can, so it nicely serves as a base to bring the base of the light close to the level of the rod and thus gives me maximum flexibility for light movement as needed.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.coucou-networks.fr)
Date: January 08, 2020 01:38AM

I've got a big magnifying glass with integrated LEDs. Changed my life, the single most valuable equipment for rodbuilding I ever bought.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Date: January 08, 2020 06:17AM

Thank you all ,
I’ve got some real good ideas now
John d

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 07:47AM

I am also looking for a magnifier with an LED light source. I was looking on Amazon for an option. Im not sure if the head-light option is better or the table mount is better. Anyone have any input on whether or not one is better than the other?

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (37.166.116.---)
Date: January 08, 2020 08:45AM

All I can tell, never having tried the head-on magnifiers+LEDs,I'd that moving around the mounted mag is a bit of a pain in the neck...

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 12:06PM

I was thinking of the mounted version thus the question about the head lights. My bench doesn't lead well to a clip so I would need a stand type probably.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster