I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7ft 4-Piece Ultra Light CF Pac-Rod?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 06, 2020 10:50PM

I am having difficulty finding a 4-piece ultra light spinning blank (pack rod), 6’6” bare minimum with 7’0” to 7’6” preferred to handle 2-6lb mono / flouro and 1/32-1/4oz lures. In contrast to the vintage FG blanks I love so much, a CF blank with a fast-to-extra fast action is what I am seeking. While there are a number of 2-3 weight fly blanks available, their action is typically slower than desired for this spinning application; actually, I intend to hands-on-fishing test the modern CF blank/rod against the vintage FG counterpart. While many of you have previously commented that a fly blank made into a spinning blank or a FG blank is “sloppy”, I have found them to “lob” a 1/32oz lure exceptionally well while the full-flexing nature exceedingly enhances the Fish-Fighting-Fun-Factor, especially backcountry wild trout.
What cha got for me? Thanks!!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7ft 4-Piece Ultra Light CF Pac-Rod?
Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 11:29AM

While casting is an important aspect of light tackle fishing,
the extra "cushion" of a softer action blank helps keep large fish from breaking off on a fast head shake or quick run.
There is a trade off as to how long it takes to land that fish,
releasing some after a long fight may not be a good idea.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 07, 2020 12:11PM

The MHX travel blank TFW841-3 might work for you. [www.mudhole.com]
I have not built on this particular blank but have on a couple of others. They are quite nice. The break down length is about the same as a 9’ 4 piece fly rod.
For more money there is the Phenix travel rod, again in three pieces, but from what I have heard a very nice blank
[www.mudhole.com].
Four piece spinning blanks are difficult to find.
Norm

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 07, 2020 06:52PM

So far, I may have received more replies than their might be blanks with my desired description. None the less, thank you Ron and Norman for your respected replies.
Ron, all of your comments are point-on, acknowledged and agreed. The wild, self-sustained fish in the Sierra backcountry hike-to lakes and streams are rarely over 12in and while they can afford a better battle than a 20in hatchery raised fish planted in the drive-to fisheries, over-playing them is usually not a concern and can be released to fight again with another lucky angler. The only exception for me are Brook Trout; they can reproduce in conditions where rainbows and the beloved Goldens struggle or cannot, completely displacing other populations, and are so prolific that the body of water is left with overpopulated, stunted fish. It is no wonder the Cal DF&W has set a bonus-bag of 10 Brook Trout in addition to the 5-fish limit of other species.
Norman, I have seen both the MHX and Phenix travel offerings to which you made reference. Although the MHX might provide the best-bang-for-buck while the Phenix would certainly be the crème de crème, both are only 3-piece. I would like to keep the testing comparison between the modern CF blank and the vintage FG blank as equal as possible; the vintage Conolon blank I built is 4-piece. I have found backpacking anglers are willing to pay a little extra for the added luxury of a rod that fits inside their pack rather than dangling outside = needs to be less than 24in when broken-down.
I hope Herb Ladenheim reads this and can offer something from CTS; I’ve been looking for an opportunity to try one of “them Kiwi blanks”. While I have heard they will make a rod in as many sections as desired, it seems they are more focused on fly rods rather than spinning/ casting, at least UL.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2020 11:18PM

I searched for a similar blank for awhile never found it. I wanted a rod to leave in the truck. Got limited space where I can keep something out of sight. I have passed up to many streams and ponds in my travels wishing I had a fishing rod.

The rodgeeks C266MLF4 was the closest one lengthwise, 6'6" in four piece but a little more power than I wanted.

Rainshadow offers the SB720-4. Fits all your requirements except it is only 6'. This is the blank I went with. Unfortunately it seems to be lost in shipping and I cannot comment on how it close it is to the specs.

One thing I was thinking with the Rainshadow blank was extending the butt. Waiting on the blank to play around with a few ideas. I too am shooting for 24 or less for each section.

I was thinking of extending the blank aprox 6 inches. You could just stop there and have your minimum of 6'6". I was thinking of going a step further and use a reel seat with the appropriate hardware to accommodate a removable fighting butt. Mount it all the way to the butt end of the blank like a fly rod. I would then create a six to ten inch rear grip/ fighting butt with the corresponding hardware. Would add a total of 12 to 16 inches to blank. Have an extra piece to pack but you would get your desired length for the rod both packed and assembled.

The extension joint would be hidden by the foregrip. Should be plenty strong as the blank won't be bending in that section. Only concern would be sensitivity. I think I would try to get my trigger finger ahead of the extension joint on the foregrip. Hard to say how well the blank will transmit through the extension. I am a live bait fisherman though. If I was a spinner guy I would not be concerned about that.

Unsure what I will do once the blank gets here. I am torn between just building it as in because of the limited use it will see. Or let the OCD kick in and try and make it perfect.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 08, 2020 02:17AM

Michael,
Thank you for your input. The Rainshadow SB 720-4 may be the closest I will be able to find. While it is 4-piece which is rare yet certainly appreciated, its shorter length and higher line weight really would not be conducive to a fair, equal test with the longer, lighter FG rod. Close but no cigars but I sincerely appreciate your efforts!!! I had not given any consideration to the thought of possible rarity of a 4-piece UL spin rod until I could not find one. The fly guys have access to similar but they are willing to spend more than those fishing the other angling styles.

Mark Talmo

Date: January 08, 2020 04:13AM

Mark, I think the market is too small for compact spin travel blanks leading to the lack of choices. Fly fishing is a bit skewed towards a higher end group of anglers. Traveling to fish is much more common among fly fishers. I also wonder if it easier to make a travel fly blank. Being a much slow action overall I think the multiple ferrules have less impact on a fly rods action. Whereas you add multiple ferrules into a already fast action spin blank might stiffed things up too much.

I will keep looking and hopefully one day someone will come up with the blank that we are both looking for.

Date: January 08, 2020 04:33AM

Did a little more searching. Found a couple Rainshadow Fly blanks that might work. The REVF703-4 and the REVF793-4. Both are 3 weights listed as fast action. One is 7' the other is 7' 9".. Both are 4 piece. Being a fly blank they might be on the slower end of what we think of as fast action for a spinning rod. However they would be a huge step towards a fast action compared to the FG rods you have now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster