I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another Guide Layout Question- Point Blank rod
Posted by: Dennis Penton (---.ff.avast.com)
Date: January 06, 2020 05:51PM

Well I pulled the trigger on a PB731MXF blank. I intend to build it as a casting rod, may use a reverse guide on the stripper guide. Has anyone build a casting rod on this blank? I know Fuji has a tutorial on guide placement, but just wondered if anyone with experience can weigh in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another Guide Layout Question- Point Blank rod
Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: January 06, 2020 06:27PM

Yes, I have built several. It’s a great Blank, you will love it! I have built them both conventional, with the guides on top, and spiral wrapped. Place the RV 6 stripper 20” in front of the spool. It has plenty of power in the butt section, and fast tip allows for great casting performance. It is one of my most favorite blanks.
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 06, 2020 08:56PM

I have built two of them for my son; he loves them. Casting, guides on top, RV + KB's and Kt's. I use the RV then 5 1/2 KB's and Kt's to the end. Don't have the spacing with me, ,but I think I put the RV very close to what Norman states, then the rest by stress test. I have a couple more guides than one would use for spiral wrap.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 06, 2020 09:36PM

I have built on the PB731MLF makes a great caster. The only problem I have had is the way it projects a lure. It will cast it so far that the line begins to slow down sooner before the lure hits the water so you need to thumb the spool more before that happens. I was getting a lot of bird nests on my reels before I figured it out. Put a Curado DC on it and that will take care of that. I have only done spiral wraps on those blanks and the quide set ups with the RV6 suggested by Norman and Michael is how I do mine also. I do mostly wading rods with a short 9" handle (Butt to back reel seat foot hold) and a RV6 at around 21" from the reel face, KB5, 5-KB4s and 3-KT4s at the tip section with a 4.5mm tip top. Not having any issues with passing braid to leader knots. I am currently building a spinning rod on PB761MF for a Daiwa Saltist 3000. Great blanks you really can't go wrong.

Date: January 07, 2020 05:09PM

That's good to know. I plan on pairing it with a Daiawa Ryoga 1060, and use it for pitching plastics and topwater in the backcountry. While I am not wrapping it as a spiral rod, any exact measurements you can provide would be awesome as this is only my second build...

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 06:21PM

Read the micro guide thread two below this.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: January 08, 2020 09:11AM

I like a guy that jumps to a POINT Blank on his second build. YOU GO DENNIS!!

Date: January 08, 2020 10:46AM

Why waste time? Let's get to it! lol

Posted by: Dennis Penton (---)
Date: May 12, 2020 09:57AM

Well here is the good news. I finally finished my second build on the Point Blank (PB731mxf). See link below. I really like the way it came out, with a few imperfections of course, but only things a true rod builder would notice. lol. The rod is very light, loads effortlessly, casts incredibly well and is quite sensitive. I was impressed.

The bad news however is that I broke it on my first outing. Ouch! I've never broken a rod in 45 years of fishing, and I guess there's always a first time. Angler's Resource my replace it, but I am still awaiting their decision.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster