I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Frequency
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: January 05, 2020 03:59PM

So I did what I said I'd do. It became apparent very early on how useless this information will be for everybody else. Please show me the hands of those who own a Mitchell DigiFlex meter, just as I thought. These are the results. Rainshadow RevCB70H. 4" clamp,50g tip weight w/1" depth. Beam length first, CPM next. 70"=103, 60"=109, 50"=118, 40"=133, 30"=161, 19"=219. I'll continue to test every blank I receive and compare notes. If any world shattering results occur, you'll be the first to know. Thanks for letting me be me!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Frequency
Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 05, 2020 08:59PM

What is your ultimate goal by taking the measurements? Is it a more sophisticated form of CCS?

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 05, 2020 11:43PM

Jeffery,
First of all, congratulations on acknowledging the status quo but not necessarily following it. Broadly/generally speaking, attempting to measure any aspect of a fishing rod’s characteristics really boils down to consistency of the measurements. Dr. Hannerman graciously and intellectually afforded the entire fishing industry with a relatively simple formula to calculate such with ERN, AA, CCS and CCF derived from both static and dynamic measurements in the hopes of universally standardizing any particular rod’s action and feel. Unfortunately for the entire industry, such has been basically ignored = what a shame and it is a loss to all.
I am unfamiliar with your mentioned “Mitchell Digiflex Meter”. While I can only assume it does not include a dynamic measurement of a rod’s “feel”, it could very possibly afford a consistent enough base in which to PRELIMINARELY COMPARE one blank to another. None the less, consider adopting Dr. Hannerman’s gracious gift of CCS and CCF, as should be the across-the-board industry standard.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.33.16.93.rev.sfr.net)
Date: January 06, 2020 04:16PM

I like the spirit and the commitment.
Now figures can be used raw just as a means of comparison but it's always better to attach some kind of interpretation to them. What would you say is to be learned from them ? How quick cpm go higher when the beam shortens?
Can't wait to read some commented comparison between similar blanks.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 06, 2020 05:15PM

I commend your methodology. build golf clubs as a hobby as well as fly rods. Frequency testing of golf shafts has been done for some time. While one can get a standard, one measured location of frequency and try and match your iron shafts via frequency, it is not really an indicator of overall shaft characteristics, flex or bend point -- tip stiff, butt stiff, etc. If you look up and read some of the Tom Wishon golf shaft frequency measurement tests, he takes the measurement at various lengths along the shaft, as you have with the rod blank, thus producing an overall frequency or shaft/bend profile. That is much more useful to builders and golfers. But golf, like fishing rods, has no OEM standards or true measurements in this area. It is only done by club builders or rod makers. Wishon and others had developed a pretty good data base of shaft profiles. It would be great to have something like that in rods. But it takes a @#$%& of a lot of work.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 07, 2020 01:56PM

A well - designed guide train can reduce line friction but the difference in casting distance and accuracy are apparently impossible to substantiate so far as I know. I have never seen a credible study - one which stated experimental method used and distances observed in feet and inches. Regardless, a rod, any rod, can only pull a line, not push it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 04:52PM

Lures pull lines. Sounds like a good business opportunity is open here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster