I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What is the Most Important (First to Buy) Lathe Tool?
Posted by: John Shear (---.ams.hpecore.net)
Date: January 07, 2020 05:00PM

I prefer a nice sharp skew to quickly shave the cork down to almost the final size then finish with sandpaper. I was surprised how nice and clean it cuts the cork and of course it comes out perfectly concentric.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: January 07, 2020 09:27PM

John, or anyone else for that matter,
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a skew lathe tool? From pictures, it appears to be a simple, flat piece of steel ground on a slight taper, obviously to a prescribed (?) cutting angle. Rockler wants $75.00 or more which sounds excessive and it is only HHS, not some wazoo, exotic, “semi-precious metal like CPM S30V. At the risk of appearing to downplay your gracious reply, the Surform plane is looking pretty sweet to me right now. While I am a self-admitted cheap bastard, I learned long ago to not skimp on certain things, tools being as close to the top of the list as anything else.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 08, 2020 01:28PM

[www.globalspec.com]

Here is an inexpensive set of tools to give you some experience in using these different tools:

[www.harborfreight.com]

If turning soft materials - these tools work just fine. If turning hard wood like maple, epony or Iron Wood - they are far from working just fine. But for $20, you can use them to get familiar with the different tools.

The big difference between an inexpensive tool and an expensive tool is the steel. i.e. an inexpensive tool will let you make a few cuts in hard wood before needing to be made sharper. But, the much better and more expensive tools will let you cut for a much longer period of time without resharpening. If you get into hard core turning, then the use of Carbide tipped tools may be in your future where you may pay $$$$$$$$$$ for each tool -- Then you will need a diamond sharpener to sharpen the carbide tipped tools.

Best wishes.

Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: January 09, 2020 09:55AM

A dial indicator to make sure your work and lathe is concentric. Bill Giokas

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 09, 2020 11:55AM

In addition to the dial indicator, some measuring calipers is also a nice tool for quick comparative measurements when doing lathe work of any sort.

[www.google.com]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster