I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wife's hot glue for tip of rod
Posted by: Brandon Giles (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 03, 2020 04:08AM

Hello,

Any body have experience using craft hot glue for rod tips?
Im trying to find the difference, because I know my wife will freak if I spend any more money on this new hobby. I have thread, guides and epoxy on the way, could I just use the glue from a hot glue gun to put the tip on, then wrap and epoxy it?

I know there are a lot of cheap glues out there but even a 5 buck charge and my butt is in the slammer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wife's hot glue for tip of rod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 03, 2020 08:01AM

As I understand it the rod building hot melts are capable of somewhat higher temps before melting than the craft ones, but that doesn't mean craft ones will fail. Depending on what you expose your rods to, it may work just fine. Since it is so easy to repair if it fails, it's worth a gamble.

I expect if you leave rods in a hot car in a hot climate, you may have trouble. One thing that helps is to run your tip trim wrap finish up onto the tiptop for an eighth of an inch.

You don't want to use most epoxies as they are so strong that if you have to replace the tiptop it will be very difficult to get it off, possibly even damaging the blank tip. I expect some others with epoxy experience will tell us what to use, but most likely it will cost more than the rodbuilding hot melt. Put your ailey change in a jar and soon you'll have enough to buy it.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: January 03, 2020 09:12AM

To answer your question, yes you can use craft glue to bond the tip to the rod. As Michael said try it and if the bond fails it is easy to redo. BUT I recommend using the two part 30 min epoxy.

There is no heating equipment involved and it gives you plenty of time to adjust the tip for perfect alignment and it is the strongest bond available..

Yes, if you have to replace a tip it will be difficult but with care and a little extra time it can be removed without damaging the rod. In my experience replacing the tip usually occurs when the tip actually breaks off and rarely if the tip itself is damaged.

IMO I would not assemble a rod with the notion that in the future I may have to replace components that may never need replacing.

Good luck

John

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: January 03, 2020 09:19AM

Normal hot glue isn't very strong. A stick of rod building tip hot melt melts a a bit higher temperature and is very strong. $3.16 to get the right thing will be well worth it, and one stick of tip glue will last for years and dozens of rods.

Here's another tip-when you get the tip glue, cut an inch off the stick and put it in your tackle box with a lighter for field repairs.

Drew

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2020 09:56AM

The hot melt used for bonding fabrics is quite strong and may be suitable for use on most freshwater rods.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 03, 2020 05:18PM

Thanks, Tom. The need for replacing a tiptop comes up when it gets grooved or if it got banged into the boat and the ring came out. I have had both happen on my old cheaper store bought rods that I don't use any more. If you buy a premium ring material and take good care of it, you very well may never have to replace it.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 03, 2020 05:19PM

You might find a Fuji tip repair kit locally (Walmart, Dick's, Academy Spts. etc. They come with a glue stick. Don't get a South Bend kit, the glue's not the best.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2020 07:47AM

I use hot gun glue almost exclusively for putting on tips.
But I use the high temperature hot glue for the reason Micheal mentioned above "if you leave rods in a hot car in a hot climate, you may have trouble"

That being said, your wive's hot gun may not work as it requires a gun capable of melting high temp hot glue.
do not use the combo (low/high temp) glue as it still melts a low temp, just won't boil in high temp gun.

After a tip from Rich Forhan. I stopped using gun altogether for putting glue in rod tips.
It works great and I no longer have those long glue strings to deals with.

Rich said he runs longs beads of glue on glass surface of different widths, (picture frame works for me), lets them cool off. Then peels them up and stores in a container
when needed he cuts 2 or 3 pieces little longer then the tip barrel, pushes them down inside and heats barrel with cigarette lighter until glue melts (only takes few of seconds).
Heats up tip of blank for a second and pushes tip on.
Per his advise have done it that way for 10 years or so now with out a problem

I use a pair of needle nose pliers with masking tape covering the teeth (to protect tip finish) to hold tip and push on blank so I don't burn these fingers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2020 07:48AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 04, 2020 11:14AM

Steve,
The method that I use for tip application is as follows.

I keep a chuck of tip cement on the end of a small diameter music wire. Same type or sharpened wire that I use when working with the thread.

Then, I have another sharpened small diameter music wire that is of a size where the sharpened tip will fit inside the tip top. .

I heat the glue stick that is on the rod, and the application rod and get enough glue on the application rod to glue the tip in place.

Then, I heat up the glue on the stick and insert the tip into the tip top to get glue into the tip. Then, while turning the rod on the wrapper, I touch the heated glue that is on the application stick against the tip top to insure that there is a bit of glue on the entire tip of the rod.

Finally, use a hemostat to hold the tip top, I heat both the tip top and the glue on the end of the tip and quickly slip the tip in place. Then, I use a craft stick to clean off any excess glue from the turning tip top on the rod. A final check to insure that the tip is aligned correctly and if not, a bit of heat to soften the adhesive to align the tip.

Since moving to this method, I have not had a tip top come loose.

Prior to using this method, I had a couple of tips come loose and when examined it was caused because there was insufficient glue on the inside of the tip top.

The critical part of this process is to have the sharpened piece of music wire that will fit on the inside of the tip top and allow glue to be distributed all of the way to the bottom of the tip top. before applying to the rods tip.

Take care

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: January 04, 2020 02:50PM

At minimum you need to purchase the high temperature glue. Easier just to by rod making hot glue for tip top. Melt a little on the rod and into the tip top, as stated above.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 04, 2020 02:58PM

I just cut slivers off the glue stick , pack it into the tube and heat , glue melts instantly and slide the tip top on blank and align , very very simple .

Much much much less complicated than some make it sound.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 04, 2020 03:28PM

Ferr-L-Tite is also a good option. ( archery)

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2020 05:57PM

Just get the right tip top glue stick and use your wife's hot glue gun.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 04, 2020 06:41PM

Brandon,
Properly applied, rod-specific tip top hot-melt adhesive will provide the best, worry-free mounting of your tip top. Give me your address and I will send you a stick and then you can repay me 10 cents per month for 10 years and your wife will never know the difference! Lol

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: January 04, 2020 10:35PM

For heat, the only thing that i have ever used for the tip glue is an alcohol burner burning 97% alcohol.

If you can see the flame, your alcohol content is too low. The flame should be essentially invisible and thus will leave no carbon on the tip or the rod, as is the case if one uses a conventional lighter to heat the gule.

A butane lighter on the other hand is another perfect source for an invisible flame and source of heat for tip top hot melt glue application.

The main thing that I like about using an alcohol burner is that it is instant on and instant off as needed. I keep a box of matches handy to light the burner and use the cap to extinguish the flame.

Take care

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---)
Date: January 05, 2020 10:06AM

A fellow rod builder had a fire caused by ad alcohol burner. He lost some treasured items that he cannot replace . Invisible flames are not good

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: January 05, 2020 10:41AM

I do it exactly as Herb described. It works great.

Date: January 05, 2020 12:24PM

Invisible flames are perfect for preventing any carbon from getting on the items you are heating.

As with anything, one needs a procedure and care when working with potential - HOT items.

I light the burner, do the heating and then put the burner out. If I need it again a few minutes later, I light it again.

Be safe

Date: January 05, 2020 02:51PM

Wrong comment quoted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2020 02:52PM by Brandon Giles.

Date: January 05, 2020 02:52PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brandon,
> Properly applied, rod-specific tip top hot-melt
> adhesive will provide the best, worry-free
> mounting of your tip top. Give me your address and
> I will send you a stick and then you can repay me
> 10 cents per month for 10 years and your wife will
> never know the difference! Lol

You have a deal! HAHAH

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

A word you have used in your post has been banned from use. Please use a different word or contact the forum administrators.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster