I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Custom KR-Concept Choke Point
Posted by: Jeffery Duran (---)
Date: January 02, 2020 02:21AM

Been meaning to ask this question:

Since the action of rods vary from rod to rod and so are the angles of the reel main shaft from reel to reel, for the KR-Concept build, I was thinking of adjusting the angle of the choke point via the reel seat.

I was thinking building the front of the reel seat arbor to just enough so that the reel seat main shaft aims at my desired choke point then locking the real seat in with either epoxy or fiber glass by filling in the gap. (Protecting the blank from the locking agent with a layer tape of course)

Any thoughts or links to threads I may have missed.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom KR-Concept Choke Point
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 02, 2020 02:37AM

Give it a try and reports your results.

Personally, I doubt that there will be any difference at all with the rods ability to catch fish.

But, it never hurts to try something that is not normally done.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2020 08:18AM

The reel doesn't "shoot" line. Line is pulled from the reel by the casting weight that has been propelled forward. This is why the angle of the reel upsweep makes little difference. You won't experience any better casting and by using epoxy and/or glass filler to fill the seat you'll be adding unnecessary weight which will be detrimental to overall rod performance.

Of course there's no better way to learn than to try something.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 02, 2020 07:47PM

Your rod doesn't "shoot" line either; it PULLS the weight of the sinker or lure or fly line until you release the line. Need proof? Forget line. Hold a fish rod, pointing straight, up with a little pocket - like a one on a slingshot - tied to the tip-top of your rod. Holding the rod by the handle firmly in a vertical position have an assistant put a weight your rod is designed to cast in the pocket tied to the tip-top, pull it back as far as he dares, and let go. . . Didn't act much like a bow-and-arrow, did it?

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: January 04, 2020 02:30AM

Phil, in your above scenario of course the fishing rod didn't act like a bow and arrow. Because it isn't one, and your above description didn't describe it as one. Your description was that of a catapult. And catapults work. Need proof? Open a history book and look up the Middle Ages.

A catapult shoots a projectile. Fishing rods shoot a projectile. Attach a line to either projectile and the projectile's momentum pulls the line with it.

And yeah, I know ....... it doesn't become a projectile until it leaves the mechanism, but that's just splitting hairs.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 04, 2020 10:11AM

David: A bow and a catapult actually DO "shoot" stuff. The bowstring and catapult arm move much faster than a hunan hand could. A flyline can only move as fast as a human hand can move the rod tip -sometimes plus the speed the flycaster's hauling hand adds to the line's departure through the guides. Advertisers would have anglers believe that the rod they sell will cast farther/more accurately than the next type 3 lever (rod). This idea sells a lot of fish-poles but makes teaching fly-casting more difficult. It's easier (and more true) for a learner to accept fly-casting as pulling, a line, not pushing it.

Date: January 04, 2020 11:22AM

Let's agree at least that the reel doesn't shoot line.

Date: January 04, 2020 11:30AM

Phil, and why does hauling a fly line increase the line's speed? Is it because the haul loads the rod more? And if so, why would a loaded rod add speed to the line above and beyond the speed a human hand can move the rod?

Edit for addition: I can agree with that Tom. Spinning reels and fly reels do not shoot line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2020 11:31AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 04, 2020 01:35PM

Dave: "Hauling" increases the linear speed of the fly line by adding the velocity of your right hand pulling the line to the velocity of your left hand pulling the line, and as long as the path of the line is a straight line (not an arc), a longer cast will be produced. Like buying special golf clubs and baseball bats won't make you a par golfer or a .300 hitter a $1,200 fly rod won't make you a competent caster.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: January 04, 2020 03:34PM

Havin' fun here!

Posted by: Jeffery Duran (---)
Date: January 04, 2020 03:58PM

I guess it hasn’t been done...

Be nice if there would be adjustable reel angle seat.

Date: January 04, 2020 05:35PM

So hauling doesn't add additional load on the blank, and the blank unloading doesn't add additional speed to the line ....... got it

Date: January 05, 2020 01:11PM

Jeffery Duran Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess it hasn’t been done...
>
> Be nice if there would be adjustable reel angle
> seat.

It's been done. It has little to no effect on casting distance or performance. Often, too much angle will cause the rotor to smack your rod hand as it comes around.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 05, 2020 02:04PM

The instant you release your line during a cast the line begins to go slower. The guides on a rod do not push the line faster once your hand releases the line. I. Newton was right.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 05, 2020 09:08PM

My @#$%& detector has gone off a number of times in this string.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster