I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Magnifier
Posted by: Bill Break (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: January 01, 2020 02:46PM

I am in need of a magnifier for my old eyes. Just looking for some input on the use of table top magnifiers or the head mounted.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Magnifier
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 01, 2020 02:55PM

I've tried both, there is a need in my shop for both, head mounts are cheaper. My Ott light magnifier is my favorite table mount, easiest to maneuver and use.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: January 01, 2020 06:01PM

I used Amazon for the head mount , with Office depot for the LED mag light for the bench mount, , both work great

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2020 07:14PM

I tried the wrapping-bench mounted magnifier. To difficult to keep focused. Have been using a 7 diopter (2.75 magnification) Donegan Optivisor for 10 years.
Can't wrap or apply finish - or inscribe rod without it.
Herb
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 02, 2020 02:56AM

I tried using several different versions of table mounted magnifiers or table mounted magnifying lights but was unhappy with every one. To use them effectively, one had to be moving them all of the time.

So, many years ago I was given a head band mounted magnifier essentially identical to this one:

[www.amazon.com]

Pardon the pun, but I have never looked back.

In addition, to get the perfect focal length for the best distance for working, I tried several different pairs of single vision glasses. I have a pair of reading glasses for 12 inch distance. A pair of computer glasses for 26 inch distance and a pair of glasses just for distance.

But, for me, I generally use the pair of single vision glasses that are calibrated at 26 inches.

Then, when using these glasses in conjunction with the 2x magnifier in the head bank, I have perfect vision at 18 inches which is the distance that I like to have the rod placed for good work with correct arm, wrist and hand placement on the rod.

In addition, I also have very intense light that illuminates the area being wrapped. I use a high intensity light with the light itself at about 6 inches from the work.

When one works, it has been found that the greater the level of detail, the greater amount of light is required for doing the best possible job.

But, if one uses a magnifier, and if one normally wears glasses, by using a pair of single vision that give perfect focus on the work piece no matter the position of eyes or head, and a great deal of intense light, one can literally count the twists on an individual thread as one does the wrapping Also, one can wrap for 10-20 hours and have no more eye strain than if you were just out for a Sunday walk - so to speak.

But, if one works without illumination and or in the dark - so to speak - the work is so much harder and the results are certainly less, than if working in the bright magnified area with correct focal length eye ware.

As the Eye Doctors will tell you, as each year goes by, you need to turn the lights up a bit more to be able to see as well as you could see the previous year. It is all about aging of the ey and the need to provide greater brightness to the eye to have the visual acuity as one did the previous year with a lesser amount of light.

So, as you go through the years, don't be surprised if you need to have more light on your work to achieve the similar results that you had with a lesser amount of light and a lesser amount of magnification that you had when you were 20 years younger.

If you look at this chart of lighting requirements:

[www.noao.edu]

You will note that it is required to have 200 times more light intensity for doing exacting detailed work ( like rod wrapping) compared to general office or general work.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2020 05:45AM

[www.amazon.com]
I have got two of these mounted on each side of my bench.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2020 05:47AM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Pete Rinkevich (---.texas.us.northamericancoax.com)
Date: January 02, 2020 04:27PM

I bought this one based on recommendations I believe I read here....must say I've been pleased with it. The LED light part of it is useless but comfort and magnification options work well. I had table mount type but constantly having to move it was frustrating (I still have it mounted just only use in certain situations).

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Scott Giaquinto (---.dhs.gov)
Date: January 10, 2020 04:35AM

I use dollar store reading glasses, 3x

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster