I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Wrapping
Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: December 31, 2019 06:51PM

Doing my first double footed guides. I've seen the wonderful art work and imagination implemented with under wraps. I'm improving to satisfactory results. What is unacceptable is when the feet wrapping over lap with under wrap. Seems like the threads follow the gaps between threads instead of over, leaving gaps showing the different color. I've been unable to barnish or pack the threads to remove this. Hoping for a solution. Thanking all in advance!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2019 06:54PM by Jeffrey D Rennert.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Wrapping
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: December 31, 2019 07:19PM

What size thread are you using? Nylon size A under wrap with a coat of epoxy followed by nylon size D or C to secure the guide is probably the most common technique. Under wrap should be firm (not deathly tight) and packed without gaps. Over wrap / guide securing wrap tension ought not be too tight.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: December 31, 2019 07:45PM

Thank you Donald. I am using "A" for both, without the coat of epoxy. I'm on to new things, thank you!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---)
Date: December 31, 2019 08:10PM

If you do use epoxy it’s not necessary to use D or C thread. If the wraps are packed tight and burnished before the over wrap no coating should be needed.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 31, 2019 08:18PM

I read somewhere that the under wrap is wound in one direction and the over wrap is wound in the opposite direction. That is supposed to minimize or eliminate the over wrap from merging into the under wrap.

I never use under wrap so I have never tried the criss cross technique it but it may be worth a try.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2019 08:56PM

You have several options:

1. Use to different sized threads for the under and overwraps. Smaller on bottom, larger on to;.

2. Use CP or epoxy between the thread layers.

3. Wrap the underwrap in one direction and the overwrap in another.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: January 02, 2020 12:24AM

Or just do a single over without an under wrap

Have fun!
Nick

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 02, 2020 08:31AM

My experience thus far is to at least coat the underwrap with CP. For my saltwater build, I also put on a light coat of epoxy on the underwrap. This prevents the overwrap from digging into the underwrap. I found out the hard way that not applying at least CP to the underwrap will result in bad things.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: January 02, 2020 05:43PM

Jeffery,
The general consensus is to apply thread finish, or at least CP, to the under wrap (usually size A). You still need the threads of the under wrap to be packed tightly and evenly. Coating the under wraps not only makes wrapping the over wrap easier and more precise, but also virtually insures the under wrap is saturated completely with finish. I have given thought to wrapping the under and over wraps in opposite directions as suggested above but personally have difficulty wrapping thread DOWN the ramp of the guide foot. For those of you who have no problem, I want to be just like you when I grow up.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.122.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 02, 2020 09:14PM

I've tried some of the techniques above but find the one that works for me is as follows. Apply the underwrap with slightly more tension (but not too much) than usual and pack it as tight as you can. I wrap the feet with less tension than the underwrap and adjust the threads every quarter inch or so. It took a while but this seems to give me the best results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster