I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lines and guide choice
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 29, 2019 04:31PM

Micro guides are a bad choice for fly rods but would seem to be a fine choice for rods using revolving spool reels, no matter what line is used. Are micro guides preferred for all types of spinning rods regardless of the type of line being used or the fishing conditions and fish being pursued?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lines and guide choice
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2019 04:40PM

Micro guides, depending on the actual size you're referring to, are not always a fine choice for revolving spool reels. Try them on a heavy power surf casting outfit and see what your results are. Same with spinning rods - for running guides they are generally fine until you get up to the very heavy outfits that may require the passing of larger lines and connections. So as always we're back to using the right guides for the particular type fishing, reel, line and situation involved.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 29, 2019 05:28PM

As Mr. Kirkman has said many times in the past.

Use the guide or guides that work for the particular rod you are building for the particular fish that you are targeting.

It may mean very larger, large, medium, small, extra small or micro guides.

If you need to pass knots leaders or snaps through the guides, the guides need to be sized accordingly.

Many folks who have built a bunch of rods with micro guides have gone to an overall larger guide, simply for the convenience of the fisherman when dealing with a variety of conditions.

One negative affect voiced by many folks especially older fishing folks who may not have the best vision or the steadiest hands, prefer not to use a rods wrapper with micro guides simply because it is too tough to see the line to go through the small guides and the hassle of dealing with knots and potential leaders on their lines. For younger folks with steady hands and better vision, this is a non problem.

There are a lot of rod builders who have built with micro guides and simply don't want to deal with the size of the micro guides and the issues that their size entails. Rather, they have settled on a guide train that will be no smaller than a size 5 and are very happy with the use of such guide trains.

Build for the need, as well as the person using the rod and you will have a happy client.

Take care

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 29, 2019 05:29PM

As Mr. Kirkman has said many times in the past.

Use the guide or guides that work for the particular rod you are building for the particular fish that you are targeting.

It may mean very larger, large, medium, small, extra small or micro guides.

If you need to pass knots leaders or snaps through the guides, the guides need to be sized accordingly.

Many folks who have built a bunch of rods with micro guides have gone to an overall larger guide, simply for the convenience of the fisherman when dealing with a variety of conditions.

One negative affect voiced by many folks especially older fishing folks who may not have the best vision or the steadiest hands, prefer not to use a rods wrapper with micro guides simply because it is too tough to see the line to go through the small guides and the hassle of dealing with knots and potential leaders on their lines. For younger folks with steady hands and better vision, this is a non problem.

There are a lot of rod builders who have built with micro guides and simply don't want to deal with the size of the micro guides and the issues that their size entails. Rather, they have settled on a guide train that will be no smaller than a size 5 and are very happy with the use of such guide trains.

Build for the need, as well as the person using the rod and you will have a happy client.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: December 29, 2019 05:31PM

Depending on the size some will ice up more than larger guides.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 29, 2019 09:01PM

I pretty much only build bass rods.

But have built one fry rod and used Micro guides 2.5 mm runners on it because I didn't know better. Took it by Rod Maker Mag. corporate offices so Mr. Kirkman could teach me how to cast a fly rod,

It works pretty good and Mr Kirkman did not indicate that he was having any trouble with it.
(but then he might have just been sparing my feelings)

Also brought to show in one of the ICRB Expo seminars was ask to teach several years ago. and non the attendees who came up to play with it indicated that the Micro's were a problem.

Not being a fly fisherman I have no clue what guide performs best on fly rods

So my question is why are "Micro guides are a bad choice for fly rods"?

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 29, 2019 09:29PM

Sounds like somebody's bored.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 29, 2019 11:18PM

Micro guides aren't necessarily a bad choice for fly rods. But not all fly rods are tasked with the same thing. The same guides that work well on a fly rod used for small mountain trout may fail miserably when tasked for taking 100lb + tarpon on a rod used with shooting heads and loop to loop connections.

There is no one-size-fits-all in fishing rod guides...

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 30, 2019 12:52PM

In my opinion 4mm is the smallest you need to go. The major consideration is what knots or other line connections may pass through the guide. I have had a few issues with older fishermen and myself about threading the rod with small guides. I have a friend that builds all bass rods with 5mm runners and they really cast great. On a fly rod my main concern is the backing to fly line knot going to pass through the guides with a fish on. Although this does not happen that often, when it does you want it to be a smooth transition.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: December 30, 2019 01:03PM

Lynn, I had to check the calendar ..... I thought maybe it was April 1st.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 30, 2019 02:49PM

Again it's build the lightest system you can get away with, I have no problem with 3 mm guides and the lines and knots I use them with, they may freeze up easier, but they also unfreeze faster so it's pretty much a wash. Freezing temps that effect guides don't happen in the Pacific Northwest near as much as they used to, if ice is a problem, I just use one of my old rods with the 6 mm runners. Problem solved.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: January 03, 2020 02:27PM

Would it be fair to conclude that micro guides work best on rods built to catch micro fish? [grin]

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 04, 2020 06:18PM

it would not.
I've caught plenty of 8 lb.+ large mouth with them and a few 20-40 lb+ cat fish who though they needed a bass plug for dinner
and know a few builders who use them on their stripper n musky rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster