I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread ridges showing on guide feet
Posted by: Chris Morilla (---)
Date: December 26, 2019 03:58PM

What’s up gentleman, I am having a new issue with the thread ridges showing up around the top portion of the guide after numerous coats of finish (prokote). I recently switched to size D thread for my offshore stuff so I didn’t have to grind the guide feet down for size A. When I’m applying finish everything looks great, come back a couple hours later and the damn ridges are showing again. It’s like the finish is separating over the guide feet. I’ll try to add a few pictures when the rod stops turning.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread ridges showing on guide feet
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: December 26, 2019 04:25PM

Which ProKote viscosity are you using? Are there under wraps? Are you using heat? Can you feel the thread ridges with a finger nail or are you only seeing the thread turns?

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 26, 2019 04:56PM

.D thread makes for wider and deeper ridges..make sure to do a good packing job and use CP to seal the wraps..then the finish epoxy will stay on top of the wraps and not get soaked in showing the rudges..

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: December 26, 2019 05:05PM

It could be that the epoxy is continuing to fill the tunnels long after you think. It has to go somewhere if it is thick now and thin (revealing ridges) later. If you are using only one coat then use a second.

Date: December 26, 2019 06:41PM

Is there a way to post pictures on here? I took a couple pictures and would like to post.

The rod has an under wrap, one layer of finish, then wrapped guides on with size D thread with 3 coats of regular prokote. I’m applying the finish under power, then using a heat gun to help release bubbles. The rest of the wrap looks fine, main issue is over the guide feet. The pictures will be able to show exactly what I’m talking about.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2019 07:39PM

Can you feel the ridges or are they just visual? If it is visual, it most likely is due to the size of the thread.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2019 07:39PM

Can you feel the ridges or are they just visual? If it is visual, it most likely is due to the size of the thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 26, 2019 09:17PM

Chris,
If the ridges bother you, you could forget about using the D sized thread and rather, use two layers of size A thread. Likely similar strength and no ridges.

But, at the end of the day, are the ridges a problem? Ridges just add a bit of character to the rod don't they?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2019 11:10PM

It sounds like the resin is wicking off the thread over the foot. Put a little CP over it then re-coat and see if that will help.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 27, 2019 01:20AM

Normally I can coat a size"D" wrap in one application with regular procoat and it looks flawless. Your not using enough, your coat is too dry.
If you have any welding experience, you have to 'work the puddle" , Glob it on and use your brush to move the excess where it needs to be without becoming unbalanced.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2019 01:26AM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Chris Morilla (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: December 27, 2019 02:36PM

The ridges are only visible over the guide feet, purely cosmetic, but annoying lol. Just did a last coat with some D2 which is thicker than the prokote, so far so good.

Either way, it will be fished hard and any imperfections will be covered with salt spray and scales.

Will also spend more time finishing up some guides with size D thread to see if it is the thread size or something else.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 27, 2019 05:12PM

If you hand rotate you can easily manipulate the epoxy to stay thicker over the feet and feet edges.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 27, 2019 06:54PM

Your change of finish will likely be the solution to your problem.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 27, 2019 06:54PM

Your change of finish will likely be the solution to your problem. Sorry for the double tap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2019 06:55PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: December 27, 2019 11:44PM

The combo of rotating by hand and a thicker finish solved my issue. Looks like I’ll stick to the d 2 on heavier builds and the prokote for the lighter stuff.

Posted by: Adam S McClain (---.bla2.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 28, 2019 08:56PM

Are you using to much heat? To much heat will cause the resin to move away from the high point. I use D thread over wraps on pretty much every build. I have found with the slower curing resin like Prokote and CTS Crystal Coat this will happen with to much flame.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster