I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single foot stripping guides on fly rod
Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 23, 2019 08:47PM

Are there durability or other issues in putting size 12 and 10 single foot stripping guides on a 6 wt fly rod? OEMs seem to use standard stripping guides or rods that feature single foot running guides. I want to go all single foot for the look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2019 08:50PM by david taylor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single foot stripping guides on fly rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2019 09:12PM

You'll be fine.

Date: December 23, 2019 09:29PM

I will go with single foot then. Thanks, Tom. Do folks advise a normal wrap or use the Forhan locking wrap?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 23, 2019 10:04PM

There's not really any disadvantage to the Forhan wrap so why not?

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2019 10:04PM

If your customer - or you - casts with a high line speed - then if the line knots-up on the stripper it will be very difficult to un-knot on the narrow leg.
Herb

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2019 11:28PM

Don't do a single foot without the Forhan !

Date: December 24, 2019 12:07AM

David
And - - if your customer - or - you will get into the single-handed Spey/Skagit casting with the very thin mono running lines and a snarl/knot catches on the single foot stripper - your day of fishing is over unless you cut the running line off and start fresh.
Herb

Date: December 24, 2019 01:45AM

Thanks for the pointer, Herb, though I don't foresee using spey/Skagit on this rod. But you never know.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 24, 2019 09:04AM

I am unaware of any functional advantage in the use of a single-foot stripping guide on a fly rod and you may sacrifice some durability by using one. There is usually a trade-off between form and function.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 24, 2019 01:13PM

If you go to a higher single foot guide, you may also have to go to a larger diameter rod tube.

Date: December 24, 2019 03:25PM

David - they are doing some amazing casting with #6 rods now using short Skagit heads - of 12-14'.
I bought some Wulff Ambush SHORT lines. The line flys even with overhead casting. maybe there are better lines for dry fly fishing. But if you will be streamer fishing - you can't beat them.
Herb

This too from Spencer: If you go to a higher single foot guide, you may also have to go to a larger diameter rod tube.

But not only the tube - I use very high #20 strippers and then REC single foot spinning guides in #16, #12, #10. I have to get my rod socks custom made.
Herb

Date: December 24, 2019 05:46PM

I have on hand size 12 and size 10 stripping guides in both single-foot and traditional double foot. And they each have the same height profile. I am not going for the high-profile single foot, but have PacBay SF hard wire single foots. I happened to look at 9 ft. 6 wt. St. Croix Legend Elite and Redington Hydrogen rods today in Jax Outdoors when last minute Christmas shopping. They both have one, and only one, standard two-footed stripping guide and all the following guides are wire single footers. So I could go that route.

Appreciate all the comments, gents Good news is it will not be very difficult to switch out a single for double foot stripper if I need to -- or want to -- down the line. Skagit intrigues me, but I think I will make a specific switch or spey trout rod for that. After all, I may as well keep upping the rod count in the garage. I think it is currently at about 9. And so far I only fish for trout in Colorado, Montana and Wyoming.

And I also must consider using nylon thread or trying the clear finish on #212 silk.

Decisions, decisions.

Date: December 24, 2019 07:40PM

david,
Not pushing you on the single-hand Skagit - but it was designed for single hand rods of 3wt up to 6wts.
No need to go to longer rods unless you need to cast 80-100 ft.
watch: [www.youtube.com]
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: December 24, 2019 09:32PM

There is a rod tube with a "tri-roundular) section that takes high guides very well, by TFO, if I remember correctly. A sock is nice, but one can just use a length of cloth a little longer than the sections and wrap the sections progressively into that.

Date: December 24, 2019 10:37PM

Appreciate the comments, Herb. I have actually been looking a lot lately at the OPST videos, site and the Commando and other lines, and educating myself on spey casting and the evolution of late in that area.

Date: December 24, 2019 11:13PM

David,
Don't overlook the Wulff Ambush SHORT lines. They don't need tips. [royalwulff.com]
I'm testing the Sci Angler Skagit Short heads that need tips and the OPST that need tips.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster