I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extreme Reamer Fix?
Posted by: Jason Haney (---.mountainresearch.com)
Date: December 23, 2019 10:55AM

I recently had the abrasive tape come unglued from one of my extreme reamers. I lost probably the first 1/3 of the tape on one of my reamers, it just unwound right off the stick. Is there an easy replacement for the abrasive tape, or do I need to just pony up the $20 and buy a new reamer? Maybe glue a belt sander belt to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extreme Reamer Fix?
Posted by: Jason Koller (---.552.sxflsdch38r.cust.sdnet.net)
Date: December 23, 2019 10:57AM

I just used mine for the first time about a week and a half ago, and noticed the sanding tape was already loose at the very end of the reamer before I even used it. I'll be interested in this answer also.

Posted by: Grant Darby (172.92.68.---)
Date: December 23, 2019 11:04AM

Strip the adhesive, clean the shaft, pick up some belt sander loops, cut strips, apply contact cement to both paper and shaft, rewrap.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 23, 2019 11:05AM

Hello Jason.

MudHole sells reamer tape "Reamer Abrasive (25ft. Roll) SKU: #GX25 $20.29".

A 25' roll will do a lot of reamers.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 23, 2019 11:06AM

Use contact cement to glue on your abrasive strip. Coat the both reamer and the back of you abrasive strip let dry for 15 min or so and then tightly wrap the abrasive strip onto the the reamer. Contact cement holds up much better to frictional heat than does epoxy. Your reamer set should have come with a few small rolls of abrasive strips, if not buy a large roll
Norm

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: December 23, 2019 01:12PM

Mabel an obvious suggestion, but make sure you are rotating/driving it the right way.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2019 01:35PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Use contact cement to glue on your abrasive strip.
> Coat the both reamer and the back of you abrasive
> strip let dry for 15 min or so and then tightly
> wrap the abrasive strip onto the the reamer.
> Contact cement holds up much better to frictional
> heat than does epoxy. Your reamer set should have
> come with a few small rolls of abrasive strips, if
> not buy a large roll
> Norm

Norman is right on with his recommendation. I had the very same problem with a reamer. I followed his recommendations and bingo...it works great!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jason Koller (---.552.sxflsdch38r.cust.sdnet.net)
Date: December 23, 2019 03:36PM

Thank you for the suggestions guys, and thank you Jason for creating a thread I was also curious about. Merry Christmas!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2019 05:52PM by Jason Koller.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2019 07:14PM

Peel the whole thing off the shaft and sand well - buy some medium grit from MudHole.
Coat shaft with a viscus epoxy - GFlex by West System. Sprinkle a lot of grit onto the wet epoxy.
Press grit into epoxy. Let cure. Wipe excess grit off shaft.
Ready to use. Better than sand paper.
Herb

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---)
Date: December 23, 2019 10:08PM

It also comes off the reamer pretty easy the first couple uses. Then it gets stuck in the grip and can possibly scratch the blank on the way down.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 23, 2019 11:38PM

The grit option often has problems as Fred mentions above. I quit using them as i ruined 2 blanks from loose grit in the grip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2019 12:06PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 23, 2019 11:55PM

work slow an try to keep the reamer as cool an you can it will last longer , , heat is not a friend to reamers

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: John Cates (---)
Date: December 24, 2019 01:39AM

Abrasive and video.

[flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.36.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 24, 2019 08:24AM

I've had to repair mine several times, all because of heat breaking the bond between the tape and mandrill. Use contact cement as it is much more heat resistant than epoxy, by far. I haven't had a repaired reamer fail after using this technique for three reasons. 1. Contact cement vs. epoxy. 2. Experience taught me to ream slower, causing less heat buildup. 3. I bought a set of the ultimate reamers at the expo a few years ago and use them for the heavy lifting and the tape for the finishing.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2019 04:45PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peel the whole thing off the shaft and sand well -
> buy some medium grit from MudHole.
> Coat shaft with a viscus epoxy - GFlex by West
> System. Sprinkle a lot of grit onto the wet
> epoxy.
> Press grit into epoxy. Let cure. Wipe excess
> grit off shaft.
> Ready to use. Better than sand paper.
> Herb

Never thought about that.
I ream one ring at a time - then epoxy one ring at a time - and shape with lathe right on blank - so don't have that problem.
But even if there was some grit left in bore - wouldn't the epoxy encapsulate it?
There has to be movement for the grit to do harm.
But leaving voids under the grips is why I glue the cork rings on the blank and not a mandrel.
Herb

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 24, 2019 05:07PM

The abrasive grit is the worse thing to use. The grit does fall off while reaming and can easily get imbedded in your grip. When you test fit you’re very likely to scratch your blank. In my early days of rodbuilding those type of reamers were the norm and from personal experience the will scratch your blank.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 24, 2019 05:51PM

Follow Norm's suggestion to the letter. As an old cabinet maker we used the same method for laminating countertops. And since the belt is porous after the first coat dries about 15 minutes and is tacky to the touch but not wet....apply a second coat of contact cement to both the belt and the reamer. Wait again until it is tacky and apply the belt to the reamer. It will never come loose again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2019 05:54PM by Tom Wewerka.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster