I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping thread
Posted by: Jimmy Norris (---)
Date: December 21, 2019 03:16PM

Hello all. Ive done a quick search but came up empty handed. Has anyone used cotton or polyester sewing thread to wrap the guides? If not. Any reasons why I should not use them. Thank you!

Re: Wrapping thread
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: December 21, 2019 03:53PM

Stop. Don't do it.

Sewing threads contain silicone to make its use in a sewing machine easier. Unfortunately the silicone will not play nice with epoxy finish unless well sealed with CP and even then . . .

Given the wide variety of made for rod wrapping thread materials (silk, nylon, & poly), sizes, and colors available it's hard to justify the use of sewing thread.

It's not that it cannot be done - it can. But you can quickly make a mess too.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 21, 2019 03:55PM

then you should do a long search.
There is much posted on this web sight about using them

My suggestion is don't
which is what you will find are most of the suggestions concerning them

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 21, 2019 04:48PM

Jimmy,
You can use any thread that you wish to wrap guides on a rod.
But, if you use thread that has not been expressly listed for rod wrapping, do not get upset if you have troubles with the finish and other problems down the road.

There are quite a few threads out there that will work just fine for wrapping rods. But, it is up to you to do the research and testing to insure that there are 0 issues with the particular thread.

If you do find a thread that you like and which you have 0 troubles share the name of the thread.

But, otherwise just purchase thread that is expressly sold for rod wrapping and you will be insured of a good long lasting product.

Take care

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: December 21, 2019 05:25PM

Keep it simple. Use threads designed for rodbuilding. Pro Wrap has about as many colors as I can imagine.

Date: December 21, 2019 05:43PM

Thank you all for your replies. I dont live anywhere close to a rod shop so i order everything online. The particular vender uses a particular shipping service that is very slow. Up to 15 days. But i can get sewing thread just about anywhere. I have used sewing thread before with terrible results. It now makes sense that its coated with silicone. I didn’t know that. When i did the search I searched for the words cotton and polyester. It came back zero results for both words. Thanks again for the information.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: December 21, 2019 05:55PM

Jimmy

Rod building supplier shipping methods are all over the board. And "free" shipping is not truly free from multiple perspectives.

Shop around. Personally I prefer those who ship USPS Priority to my PO Box. It is not free but it is reliable with no worries about porch pirates.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.paw.cpe.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 21, 2019 06:49PM

Jimmy
DO NOT use cotton or rayon threads! USE nylon or poly threads! Speaking from experience!
Rog

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 22, 2019 01:18AM

You might check with some of the vendors on the left side of this page. I have used many of them, and most can deliver in a very timely manner. If in doubt, give them a call and ask about their shipper and delivery time to your address before ordering.

Take care

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 22, 2019 10:19AM

Hello Jimmy.

On the search you need to change to "ALL DATES", I ran "Has anyone used cotton or polyester sewing thread to wrap the guides?" with all dates and got 131000 hits.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: December 22, 2019 10:29AM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Jimmy.
>
> On the search you need to change to "ALL DATES", I
> ran "Has anyone used cotton or polyester sewing
> thread to wrap the guides?" with all dates and got
> 131000 hits.
>
> Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Haha. Yeah i guess that would help. I didn’t notice that on my phone....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster