I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eva grip bore diameter
Posted by: Bill Break (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: December 20, 2019 12:49PM

Building a rod with a butt diameter of .680 . Should I use the eva rear grip with the bore diameter of half inch or the five eights? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eva grip bore diameter
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 20, 2019 01:36PM

Bill,
For myself, whenever I build a rod, I ream the grip - what ever the material - to match the od of the blank at the location of the grip installation.

So, in your case, I would use an EVA grip that has a smaller hole than .680 and ream the grip to match the size and taper of the rod blank.

Some folks prefer to stretch the blank over a grip. I do not like to stretch anything. I don't stretch EVA, I don't stretch nylon, I don't stretch cork, I don't stretch wood. No reason for myself to ever stretch a grip to fit a blank.

Ream it and then glue it up.

Take care

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 20, 2019 01:47PM

Butt diameter isn't as important as the diameter where the grip ends. I've stretched lots of close diameter grips with zero problems.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 20, 2019 02:08PM

It is better to ream the grip as Roger suggests but if you don't have a tapered reamer then try the following;
Mark the blank where the grip ends at the reel seat and measure the diameter. Drill or ream the EVA for a snug fit to that diameter.

Install the grip, the grip will have a snug fit at the reel end and a tight fit at the butt end.

This will minimize the stretch of the EVA.

Have fun

Date: December 21, 2019 08:53AM

Thanks. I have a set of cork reamers. Just didn't know if you could ream the EVA.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 21, 2019 11:18AM

It reams just fine.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2019 11:47AM

See #20:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 21, 2019 12:05PM

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster