I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interchangeable Pistol Grip Casting Rod
Posted by: Brandon Giles (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 20, 2019 12:35PM

Hello!

I have been searching far and wide for a name of this style of rod. There are 3 that share the same pistol grip handle, the 4th is a few MM larger and doesn't fit.

I don't know how to post pictures in this forum, but here is a link to an album I put on IMGUR. [imgur.com]

I included the handle that is used and pictures of the ferrule like ends that insert into the metal clamp.

Anything else I can include for you, please let me know and I will upload probably within a few minutes. (PST timezone)

Thank you in advance sooo much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interchangeable Pistol Grip Casting Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2019 12:39PM

They were called a lot of different things - collet handles, chuck type handles, etc. This is how nearly all freshwater casting rods were made until the early 1980's.

Date: December 20, 2019 01:12PM

I appreciate the quick reply! Definitely giving me more stuff to search up.
Do you know if there was a specific name for the rods with the collets on them? Or were they just called casting rods?
Do you know of any vendor that sales newer collet/chuck handles?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 20, 2019 01:39PM

A decade, or so ago they were still available in Japan. Not sure now. The ones I saw were much fancier.

Date: December 20, 2019 01:46PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were called a lot of different things -
> collet handles, chuck type handles, etc. This is
> how nearly all freshwater casting rods were made
> until the early 1980's.
>
> ...............
So, found more information. I searched an antique ferrule catalog and found almost the exact ones used on my rods. They are meant for fly fishing but this rods are 4ft to 5ft TOPS.
[antiquerodandreels.com]
I hope the link goes through. It is the second image, not the first that it loads.

Date: December 20, 2019 01:48PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
> A decade, or so ago they were still available in
> Japan. Not sure now. The ones I saw were much
> fancier.

Are we talking about the handle or the rods themselves?
Do you know any brands or names of the "reel handle", or even a name of one of the rods?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 20, 2019 01:55PM

The handle, saw them on finished rods also, will look to see if I still have the info, getting to the point where I can build rods, or store old catalogs, info and books.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 20, 2019 02:33PM

These rods "Pistol Grip" were mainly used with the bait casting reels and latter replaced with closed faced spinning reels.

They tended to be shorter rods and over time gave way to the more modern bait caster reels and longer casting rods.

Fuji made a graphite version of your handle but it did not have a collet (chuck), the blank was bonded directly to the grip.

Back in the 70's Shakespeare had a fiber glass rod called "Wonder Rod" with a pistol grip. That is the only one I remember.

You may have to make your own, You may find parts on line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2019 02:34PM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 20, 2019 04:24PM

At one time Fuji made both "collet style" and "glue-in style"
The collet style actually had a couple of different styles and sizes on the chuck end.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: December 20, 2019 05:06PM

Looks like I need to catch one on @#$%& next time it is up for offer. Ill hit the local goodwill style fishy stores around me and maybe Ill find something.
I have no idea how I would build with this rod's handle. Been trying to find a good guide for building a pistol grip handle and there isn't much.

I need to find better resources...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2019 06:53PM by Brandon Giles.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2019 06:33PM

The advent of straight-thru construction (Lew's Laser rods were among the first) pretty much relegated the two-part type casting rods to the dust bin of history.

There is nothing special about building a pistol grip handle rod. One of the "better resources" you need is RodMaker Magazine that has covered not only how to build these rods but how to craft you own cork pistol grips, with basic hand tools, from cork rings. Otherwise, you just build the rod on the blank, install the butt ferrule and chuck (or glue) it into the handle.

The Fuji handles from the 70's were among the last (and lightest) of these type handles offered. The old Featherweight models were nice, but heavy. The lack of demand has resulted in no current offerings of these type handles.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 20, 2019 07:10PM

Back in the 70’s and early 80’s I built a number of rods using the Fuji Lew’s speed grips. These haven’t been sold for a long time and for good reason, they were quite heavy and not very sensitive. I used to have a box full of these old grips which i gave away to someone here who wanted them. If you want to build a pistol grip it’s easy enough to do using the ready made pistol grips which are available at a number of places. They work quite well on shorter ‘Shooter’ types of blanks. They can also be made on a piece of old blank and ferruled to fit you old rods.
[www.mudhole.com]
Norm

Date: December 20, 2019 07:34PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> There is nothing special about building a pistol
> grip handle rod. One of the "better resources" you
> need is RodMaker Magazine that has covered not
> only how to build these rods but how to craft you
> own cork pistol grips, with basic hand tools, from
> cork rings. Otherwise, you just build the rod on
> the blank, install the butt ferrule and chuck (or
> glue) it into the handle.

There we go! I am going to get Volume 20 #6, hopefully that is the one about crafting pistol grips.
THANK YOU!
I wasn't trying to say you guys aren't a great resource either, just that I seem to ask a bunch of questions and googling never really helps me haha

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 20, 2019 08:37PM

A couple are shown in this link:

[www.google.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster