I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod reel seat
Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 19, 2019 08:10AM

I ordered a fly rod from muhole because it seemed like a good deal. I didn't get a reel seat for it yet because I was a bit confused about them. I see there are different sizes. The rod is a 5 wt so what would be the best size reel seat for it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod reel seat
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: December 19, 2019 01:02PM

Ken

You want a reel seat with an ID just a wee bit larger than the rod's butt diameter, which value is probably published by Mudhole or you can measure it with calipers. Additionally, some reel seats are described as suitable for X or X to Y line weight rods. But it's the ID of the seat vs the OD of the rod butt that is critical. You can use a stint to use a reel seat with an ID less than the butt OD, but that is a technique best reserved for some glass rods.

For a 5 weight you'll find a large variety of both up-locking and down-locking hardware. For a 5 weight, 9', carbon fiber rod an up-locking seat is probably the most popular to balance the rod. The downside is most .will require the grip to be inlet to the correct size to accept the reel seat hood. An e-glass 5 weight might balance better with a down-locking seat.

It's difficult to be more specific without knowing your rod's length, material (carbon fiber or glass), weight of the reel to be used, your perceived swing weight / balance preference, and of course the depth of your wallet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2019 01:04PM by Donald La Mar.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 19, 2019 05:35PM

As Donald mentions, many fly rod reel seats indicate the fly rod weights for which they are suitable. I build lots of fly rods and I use mostly the Batson line which is available from a number the suppliers on the left.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: December 19, 2019 08:00PM

Sadly the St Croix reel seat kits are no longer available. These were great quality and reasonably priced. I hope they bring them back.

But happily, Batson makes a decent handle kit with the cork already inlet, a shim for the reel seat and a buttcap for the very bottom. I have recently been using a bunch of these:

[getbitoutdoors.com]

That would work well for your 5 wt and won't break the bank. As you build more fly rods, you may find other reel seats and cork that works for you but the better quality seats will cost extra $$.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 23, 2019 07:20AM

I was able to find a reel seat for the fly rod. I used Donald's suggestion by checking out the OD of the butt and compared it to a reel seat ID. It ended up being a size 7.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster