I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Catfish Blank
Posted by: Zac Huffman (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2019 01:38PM

I'm looking at building a catfish rod for drifting. This rod will be used mainly for blue cats up to 60 pounds with majority in the 20-40 range. Looking for a top with a sensitive tip and a good backbone preferably MF action. What are some of your suggestions? I have built a heavy value e-glass rod from mudhole but want something with a little more tip action. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Catfish Blank
Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 18, 2019 03:25PM

We have a few options with our RainShadow blanks.
RCLB79ML – slimmer than glass with graphite and an e-glass tip - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

SWB80ML – This is our typical all E-glass blank that we recommend - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

SW966 & SW967 – Very popular for catfish with a few select builders, not typically on the radar – all graphite - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: December 18, 2019 03:33PM

James,
What is the advantage of the all graphite blanks? Do you know what technique they are using those blanks for? I'm guessing it may be for bumping and not drifting?

Thank you

Posted by: Don Baker (---.ksca.qwest.net)
Date: December 18, 2019 05:21PM

I use Seeker Blank for rods to fish for the same quarry on Kansas lakes. I have S870, S270h, bothin glass; CLBF 708 and CJB70F in Black Steel composite.Have caught many in the 20 - 40 lb range dragging cut bait and circle hooks. All would handle bigger fish but the the black steel blanks would really shine there. The 708 is faster than the70f but both are awesome catfish drifting rods. I have RDA measurements on these if you could use that info.

Date: December 18, 2019 05:40PM

Zac Huffman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> James,
> What is the advantage of the all graphite blanks?
> Do you know what technique they are using those
> blanks for? I'm guessing it may be for bumping and
> not drifting?
>
> Thank you

Main advantage of graphite is it’s lighter and more sensitive. People use these blanks for drifting type techniques for all kinds of different fish, so they'll work just fine.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2019 07:34AM

Check the Rodgeeks XC blanks - these are ideal for what you are looking do to. YOu just have to figure out the length how heavy you want the rod to be: [rodgeeks.com]
WHile designed for Inshore SW fishing, the blanks are catching on for Catfishing.

Date: December 19, 2019 10:40AM

Zac Huffman Wrote:
> James,
> What is the advantage of the all graphite blanks?
> Do you know what technique they are using those
> blanks for? I'm guessing it may be for bumping and
> not drifting?
>
> Thank you

James,
I would gladly use the RDA measurements if you're willing to provide those to me. What guides are you running on the black steel composites? Are you running a traditional heavy duty guide?

Thank you

Date: December 19, 2019 11:18AM

We don't really use RDA measurements (we have other traditional measurements that we use) so don't have that to supply.

A few different guides work, the ForeCast HCBG or you can go with either the ALPS XN or HXN guides.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises

Date: December 19, 2019 12:44PM

Sorry James I meant to respond to Don. I just worry about the violent strike's that blue cats are capable of and the all graphite blank withstanding that initial impact.

Posted by: Don Baker (---.ksca.qwest.net)
Date: December 19, 2019 02:31PM

Zac, I use the guides James mentions, if you like stainless with no insert the Forecast hcbg are very nice. I actually prefer the Alps XN and heavy XN. I am really impressed with these and they require very little foot prep. I purchase these from Utmost and they are excellant to work with for Batson products.Shoot me an e-mail and /or phone # and I will get you more info on the blanks I use. I live in Holton and mostly fish Perry and Melvern. This last summer , with all the rain was torture, but I finally got on the water in the fall and caught some nice fish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 22, 2019 11:58PM

There are fish out there that generate far more impact then a catfish, the graphite rods built for those fish have been doing great for decades. I wouldn't worry about it.

Posted by: Butch Cross (192.132.205.---)
Date: January 14, 2020 05:27PM

James Taylor Wrote:
> We have a few options with our RainShadow blanks.
> RCLB79ML – slimmer than glass with graphite and
> an e-glass tip -
> [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
> 6eglass-live-bait/
>
> SWB80ML – This is our typical all E-glass blank
> that we recommend -
> lass-multipurpose-saltwaterblanks/
>
> SW966 & SW967 – Very popular for catfish with a
> few select builders, not typically on the radar
> – all graphite -
> 7-multipurpose-saltwater/

James, where does the SW80ML start to flex, is it only in the upper half of the rod or does it have flex lower in the blank. I’m looking to do a build for a catfish rod, primary use is open lake, casting 2oz to 3oz weights with bait, fish average around 10lbs, 20lb or 25lb mono.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster