I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Large Swimbait Rod
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: December 16, 2019 01:42PM

I'm looking to build a rod for throwing fairly large plastic/hard swimbaits (Huddlestons etc.) In the 1-4 oz range. Probably 7 1/2-8' long.
People rave about the Loomis IMX 966 but, obviously that's not an option to build. Plus, it's only made in a casting model. I'm done with baitcasting.
So, looking for a blank that folks have found works well for this technique.
What do people think about building spinning rods on baitcasting blanks? I know we use to do it back in the day. People just say that the spinning equipment isn't as powerful as the baitcasting. That may be true. But, I know I can get a spinning system together that will handle the 7 lb smallmouth that's in my future. You have to be optimistic right? And prepared.
Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Large Swimbait Rod
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2019 02:14PM

Hello Todd - This MHX Swimbait Rod Blank will get the job done for you [www.mudhole.com] Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 16, 2019 02:52PM

The blank doesn't care how you build it, spinning gear can handle your needs no problem. Take a peek at the Rainshadow SW967, been a popular swimbait blank for a longtime. www.calfishing.com has a review of this stick with many opinions from users. One sweet casting stick.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 03:05PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 16, 2019 03:07PM

The blank doesn't know what it is till I make it what I want it to be. I have been doing it like this for years because I will be looking for a specific action, characteristic or geometry the blank may have for the intended build. This also applies to other components like guides, reel seats and grips. If you like G. Loomis blanks then get them from the Gary Loomis company North Fork Composites (NFC) on the left. They are having 70% of their blanks because he sells directly to the public. Their service has improved 100% in the last couple of months.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: December 16, 2019 07:15PM

Todd, when people say that spinning gear isn't as powerful as casting gear, are they speaking of the rods, or the reels? Myself I would think they are talking about the reels. A spinning reel is no where near as powerful as a spinning reel. Even a spinning reel with a low gear ratio.

The first thing I thought of when I read your opening post was, man you are going to wear yourself out throwing those kind of baits on spinning gear. I am basing that strictly on the reel. For the size and water resistance of the baits you're talking about I would think you'd need a spinning reel with a gear ratio in the low to mid 4:1 range to make up for the lack of cranking power inherent in spinning reels. Basically a saltwater spinning reel.
And I am sure I'll get the usual, people catch a lot bigger fish than 7 lb smallmouth on spinning gear without any problems. And I know that's true. But I'm not talking about reeling a fish in. I'm talking about reeling the bait in ...... over and over and over .........

It's making my forearm hurt just thinking about it. Just something to think about.

Edit for addition ......... I just looked some of the bigger spinning reels up on line. Reels with 4.5:1 gear ratios weigh in the neighborhood of 15 oz. Not only will reeling the bait in tire you out, that is a seriously heavy reel to be using for multiple casts.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 07:21PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 17, 2019 03:23PM

Wish i had a spinner in the 15 oz range , i have been casting 2-6 oz metals etc... on reels that weigh in the 19 - 22 ounce range on blanks over 10 feet long and i don't find it tiring at all . To each their own , i do agree a conventional is better for throwing over 5 ounce regularly but QUALITY spinners these days are fantastic for throwing 2 -4 ounce.

I've winched in even 40 pound rays on small spinners , no cranking power issues at all with a nearly locked down drag and the beast still stripping line . Remember the word "Quality" there are spinners that are pure garbage that won't hold up out there.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 17, 2019 04:04PM

We have two models that fit your needs.
Revelation REVSB710MH-SB & REVSB710H-SB - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: December 17, 2019 04:31PM

Herb, I have to admit that my comments are based on my experience with bass sized spinning reels. None of them having a gear ratio lower than 5.2:1. Like most people I'd imagine, I started with spinning gear when I started fishing. Well ........ when I was little little I had the standard Zebco 33 spin caster, but you get the point. I used spinning for everything, When I started getting more serious about bass fishing I purchased a Shimano 4000 Symmetry for my cast and retrieve baits. I can't remember the gear ratio on that reel, but it was probably in the 6:1 range.

I just remember how tiring it got reeling in spinnerbaits and deep diving crankbaits all day with that thing. About the only cast and retrieve baits I throw with spinning gear any more is #5 and #7 Shad Raps, and I'll swim grubs n such with spinning gear as well. I still find it tiring throwing big deep diving crankbaits with casting gear. Maybe it's just old age catching up with me. lol

Anyhow... what are "metals" ? Do they offer a lot of water resistance?

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2019 06:30PM

I hear what you're saying. I've been in a love hate relationship with baitcasting reels for years. I'm just at a point where I'm done.
The 2-3 oz swimbaits really aren't that big of a pull. Not like the big spinnerbaits, inline spinners and deep divers. I think I'll be fine.
But, if it wears me out, I'll strip it down and make it a baitcasting rod and see how that goes. That's the beauty of building our own
I appreciate everybody's advice.

Date: December 17, 2019 06:43PM

Sometimes I wonder about the bass only guys, the whole world is full of bigger, unbalanced and heavier gear, bigger and faster fish, bigger baits, heavy currents, etc.We all seem to fish and survive the experience just fine.and so did our fore fathers.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 17, 2019 10:51PM

It all comes down to personal preference and everybody has their own. The only reason i commented had nothing to do with Davids preference for baitcasters it was the comment saying a 15 oz spinner is considered heavy and will wear you out making repeated casts and that they're vastly inferior to conventional's in regards to cranking power ( Which is true) but quality spinners have enough cranking power for virtually anything out there and i emphasize the word "Quality".

Like David i'm also up there in age and sometimes we forget about the technology advancements that's taken place over the years which for the most part made fishing gear far more capable. BUT , there's always a "But" that old saying " They don't make things like they used to" is especially true when it comes to the budget category of reels . There are more terrible quality spinning reels out there today than iv'e ever seen in my life , ( Most are paired as a combo with a mediocre rod) which will suffice for somebody that fishes every once in awhile . Check for expiration date on reel .

The quality spinners are incredibly good , Shimano's best spinners offer a cold forged main gear which believe it or not is made from a high tech aluminum & they pair it with a marine grade brass pinion, other manufacturers like Van Staal (Not a fan) even come with a hardened stainless steel main gear and stainless pinion which gives you ultimate durability but you do lose some of the inherent smoothness and fluidity which is to be expected when you pair two metals of equal hardness together in a spinning reel gear train. Anyways , as far as what i meant by "Metals" i'm talking about Luhr Jensen Crippled Herrings in the 2, 3 and 4 oz weights , large spoons in the 2 to 3 oz range , Acme Kastmasters , AVA diamond jigs etc..

Happy Holidays to everybody by the way .

Posted by: Zac Huffman (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: December 18, 2019 02:51PM

Phenix ultra swimbait classic blank.

Date: December 18, 2019 06:32PM

Todd, I'm glad you understood the intent of my post. I just wanted to mention something that you may not have thought of. I don't have any experience throwing big hard bodied swimbaits. I've got one full size Deps Buzz Jet, and a full size Jackall Mikey, but they're wake baits. The Buzz Jet has some pull to it, but the Mikey, not so much. The biggest swimbait I own is a Hudd Deluxe 68 that comes in right at 2 oz. Not a lot of water resistance in that bait. I haven't caught anything on the Hudd yet, but it sure looks good in the water. lol

Herb, you're right, I do have a preference for bait casters. And the cranking power of a bait casting reel has a lot to do with that preference. They're just more efficient for the type of fishing I do. Especially for the type of cast and retrieve baits I throw. As Spencer so astutely pointed out, I am pretty much a bass only guy, but I'm not a bass only guy that calls spinning gear "fairy sticks" and wouldn't be caught dead with one in my boat. And you're absolutely right about the advancements in technology in spinning gear from back in the day, till now. The Shimano spinning reels I use now have a lot more cranking power than the Shimano spinning reels I first started out with. And they have the same gear ratios. So thank you for making me think back to days long past.

Oh and Herb, the fact that big spinning reels weigh 15 oz or more was only an oh man kind of moment for me. My initial post to this thread was strictly based on the cranking power of one type of reel, versus another.

And finally Spencer. Merry Christmas

Date: December 19, 2019 12:16AM

Merry Christmas Dave, all the best for your family during the holiday week and in the coming year.

Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: December 19, 2019 03:53PM

The plastic swimbaits like the Huddlestons will be what I'll be focusing on. That's why I don't think the pull will be too drastic.

Posted by: Brian Cheung (209.171.88.---)
Date: December 31, 2019 11:55AM

I built a swimbait rod for pike on the Phenix M1 inshore 7’11 ml blank and like it a lot, it is lightweight which is nice for throwing swimbaits all day. It is only rated 1-3 oz though so you may want to step up a power in the blank for your purpose. I use it for 2 oz glidebaits and works well. Musky blanks may serve you well too, I had the st croix legend tournament and legend elite Muskie sling blade and they could throw a very wide range of big lures, both great rods with the legend elite slightly lighter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster