I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy or Spar Varnish what do you like
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.csby.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 16, 2019 02:58AM

Epoxy or Spar Varnish what do you like best and why!

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy or Spar Varnish what do you like
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 16, 2019 06:57AM

Traditionally spar varnish is used on bamboo or other wood surfaces. It was originally designed for the protection of wood surfaces such as floors, boats etc.

Epoxy is better formulated for fiberglass and composites but can be used on wood also.

Depending on the application either can be used.

For restoration of bamboo rods spar varnish is preferred.

John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2019 08:10AM

If you're talking about coating thread wraps, epoxy has it all over spar varnish. Epoxy is simple and easy to use, although many still wrestle with it. It will outlast varnish by decades.

There are some other single part finishes that while not quite as long lasting as epoxy do quite well. One was featured in a recent issue of RodMaker, Varithane Triple Thick. Also, several of the rod component supply houses sell similar one-part finishes in reasonably small quantities more suited for the rod builder. They are urethanes and although they require 3 or 4 coats to build any depth, are almost foolproof in use. They will also greatly outlast spar varnish.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---)
Date: December 16, 2019 12:32PM

Good luck finding smaller quantities of true, long oil, spar varnish these days. The spar varnish of long ago (pre EPA) was a quality product. I've a Granger rod for which the spar made it 75 + years before failure. These days what passes for spar varnish is actually urethane - not long oil. None of the big box or small hardware stores in my neck of the woods sell anything but urethane. For the last bamboo rod I built I ordered Epifanes marine spar from Amazon. It is really good stuff but on the far side of pricy unless you're building a bunch of boo rods. And the light amber hue works well with a lot of color combinations on bamboo and similarly colored glass rods. The open time for spar is much longer than epoxy and bubbles are a non-event. One coat coverage is just not in the cards for spar.

While epoxy does eventually yellow, it begins life a heck of a lot clearer than spar, one and done coverage is possible, I find it is easier to make clear wraps with epoxy than with spar, and I suspect epoxy is the lesser expensive.

To answer to your question directly, it is not an either / or thing. For what is a limited number of applications spar is the better choice while for nearly all applications epoxy works and works well for most.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster