I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning guides
Posted by: John Duncan (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2019 07:27AM

What the purpose of using a taller guide rather than a normal spin cast guide .
Fishing for 50 years and I don’t think I ever saw a “tall
“ guide till I started building rods

Thanks
John d

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning guides
Posted by: Dondi Rogers (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2019 09:28AM

The purpose of the taller guide on spinning rods is to compensate for the offset of the reel. Casting reels are basically flush mounted once the foot is inserted into the reel seat. The spinning reel is offset by approximately 2.75".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2019 09:28AM by Dondi Rogers.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2019 11:13AM

The first spinning guides weren't "tall" but they were large. Over time, manufacturers learned that greater height, more than large ring size, was better for facilitating spinning rod casting qualities. Advances in line technology have also negated the need for overly large rings, but still require some height on the first few guides to get the best casting qualities.

If you put a spinning rod on a casting rod with low guides, it'll cast, but you'll get a lot of line slap on the rod blank in front of that first guide. Again, it'll work, but not nearly as well as rods crafted expressly for use with a spinning reel will.

Date: December 13, 2019 11:39AM

Thanks
That’s good information
I see now I may need to match the reel up more closely to the guide and it’s location
John d

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 13, 2019 11:52AM

The modern high frame smaller ring spinning guides have been shown to better control and choke the line coils coming from the spinning reel. This helps to eliminate line slap friction and thus results in longer and smoother casts. Also by reducing the ring size of the guide while maintaining height helps to decrease the overall weight of the reduction train guides. High frame small ring guides, such as match guides, have been around for a long time, however the relatively recent development of the KR concept has greatly increased their popularly. They really do work well.
Norm

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 13, 2019 12:57PM

They also help keep the line straight coming from the reel to the choke point of the rod. It will cast better. Before, as stated earlier, a larger ring that had greater height was used but the problem was the continuation of the wave in the line down to almost the tip top. By eliminating the wave closer to the reel, by using smaller guides after the stripper, the rods performance is greatly increased as well as casting distance.

Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 13, 2019 12:59PM

the super braids have a great deal to do with it..i for years only used spinning for light line fishing but now with the thinner and stronger braids use spinning almost for all fishing..flipping and pitching is still done with casters but i,m sure it can be done with heavier spinning gear..

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 13, 2019 01:35PM

John,
For years, I have built all of my spinning rods, so that the first guide is essentially the same height as the center of the spinning reel spool. Over time I have found that if the first guide had the center of the guide in line with the center of the line spool, it eliminates line slap in virtually all of the cases. Then, a quick reduction to a smaller guide and then to running guides make for an excellent spinning rod guide train. True for both mono and braid.

Take care

Date: December 13, 2019 08:58PM

Again thanks to everyone !
I need to revisit my builds and try out the taller guides
John’s

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: December 14, 2019 08:13PM

Admittedly I know very little about spinning rod guide trains. What I do know is the weight savings one gets using a KR Concept guide train versus an NGC (new guide concept) or a COF (cone of flight) guide train.

I recently R&R'd an old 6'6" Sjhimano Scabard spinning rod that was advertised as using "Fuji concept guides." The age of the rod leads me to believe that it was an NGC guide train. I weighed the guides I took off that rod. 5 guides plus the tip top, weighed 11 grams. I put Pac Bay Minima guides that are appropriate for a KR Concept guide train. 10 guides plus the tip top, weighed 4 grams. That's a weight savings of 1/4 oz. 1/4 oz doesn't seem like much in the grand scheme of things, but when it comes off the guide train it makes a world of difference in how the rod feels in hand. The balance of the rod changed drastically. The rod casts infinitely better than when it was stock, and is noticeably more sensitive.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 15, 2019 08:43AM

John,
Remember, when you speak of taller spinning guides, the only guide that really needs to be taller is the stripper guide so that the eye of the guide is more nearly centered with the center of the reel spool. And in todays world, you really only need ore or perhaps two reduction guides before you get to the running guides to the tip top of the rod. Many folks today use one taller stripper, one reduction guide and then runners to the tip of the rod. Your choice.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2019 01:27AM

I like very much the SIC MATCH GUIDES for my spinning rods. My spinning rods are over 10 feet.I don't fish with shorter rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster