I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re: Reel seat distance to first guide
Posted by: ben belote (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: December 15, 2019 10:56AM

don,t skimp on the tip guides..it,s so easy to get hairpinned..a nice fish can make a sudden surge under the boat and catch you off guard or yyou just simply let the rod get too high.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---)
Date: December 15, 2019 03:31PM

Roger, I’m liking your concept. Build for the tallest reel. Why didn’t I think of that? Couldn’t see the forest for the trees. Again. In my case, my casting reels do not get swapped to different rods often. My smallest reels get spooled with the lightest line, and get mounted on the lowest power rods. And they pretty much stay there. The largest reels get the heaviest line, and go on the heaviest power rods. And those tend to stay there as well. The in between reels go on the in between rods with in between line. Those are the ones that do occasionally get swapped to different rods. As I build more of my own rods, I will be using yout concept for those in between rods. Thanks for the advice.

Most of the rods I build for other people go to bass fishermen. And, these folks are almost crazy about their gear being very application specific. About 80% of them are going to use one specific reel, one type and pound test line, and going are going to use it for one specific bait type. Some times it makes sense, and some times it leaves me scratching my brain.

What I was most interested in was the 14-16” spacing Mr Kirkman recommended. Just wondering if anybody else noted that and tried it out. I can’t really tell any difference, but, as I mentioned, the two rods I built using that shorter spacing are very different rods and i have no factory rods that would be a good basis for comparison. I suppose the only way to really evaluate this is to build two identical rods, and see what happens.
Cheers, and thanks.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 15, 2019 05:50PM

Michael, I have a detector similar to yours but mine seems to go off too much . Is there an adjustment for that? I think a search on the original topic should turn up enough info to keep one reading well into the new year. (some of that info would set it off as well) lol

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.249.---)
Date: December 16, 2019 12:39PM

Sorry Lynn, I think you are cursed for life. No adjustments on those things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster