I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Thread?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2019 01:54AM

Simple question. Does anyone make a decent metallic thread, strength wise. I used to use metallic thread in the past for nearly all my guide wraps. I took a break from building right about the time Gudebrod went out of the rod thread business. Been back in the game for about two years. I have used some of the current metallic offerings for trim wraps. It is acceptable for that. But I would not even consider it for guide wraps. Compared to some of Gudebrod stash everything of current manufacture breaks at about a third to a half the amount of force as the gudebrod. Am I missing a decent metallic thread?

Prowrap is probable the worst tried both types. Fishhawk and alps not much better. Pacbay might work if I am real careful with it, breaks at about a bit over half of gudebrod . Fuji seems the best breaking at about three quarters of the gudebrod but not a lot of colors available. Not looking for a particular color at the moment just want a source to keep in mind when I don't have something in my stash to wrap guides in metallic. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Thread?
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---)
Date: December 12, 2019 06:39AM

I don’t have an answer for strength on metallics but I have wrapped guides on with a nylon thread, put a coat of finish on, then over wrapped with rayon thread just for a specific color. Rayon thread has no strength and was purely used for the color in those cases. You could do the same with the metallic thread, although I do believe just about any metallic thread has sufficient enough strength to hold a guide in place. It seems the general consensus is that it’s the finish that is the strength, it especially would be with a metallic thread with no color preserver. In my case with using rayon and color preserver, I can attest that rayon has zero strength holding a guide in place on its own.

Personally if I were using a metallic thread made for rod building, I’d use less tension, wrap it on normally with no under wrap and apply a finish with no color preserver. A urethane finish as the first coat would probably make it stronger, then apply an epoxy over if you wanted that smooth gloss look.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (165.225.48.---)
Date: December 12, 2019 06:53AM

The finish is to protect the thread from damage and abrasion. Strength is built by the multitude of wraps around the foot. Should be plenty strong .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (185.163.29.---)
Date: December 12, 2019 09:32AM

I'd say there's a little bit of both: I like to think of the wraps as reinforced concrete, where the thread is like the metal frame and the finish is like the concrete. Strength comes from the combination. I just stripped bare a rod to change the guides, I had removed the thread but the guide feet was still embedded into finish around it. Let me tell you there was quite some force involved in the removing process, more than I would have actually cared.

As for a metallic wrap, except if you're building a powerful salt rod, I don't think you'll have any strength problem.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 12, 2019 10:36AM

I've had no problems with the strength of Sulky embroidery thread, designed to go through a sewing machine at great speeds it has no foil breakage problems I've noted, looking at it, you can see they incorporate the foil into the thread, much better than some do.Just about any sewing, or fabric store carried it, and it comes in a large assortment of colors. I used the metallic evergreen to match the Lamiglas Perigee blanks when they were available. No problems with the wraps and I used in on heavy salmon and some surf rods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2019 10:43AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2019 11:34AM

A straight pull on a section of thread isn't very likely to tell you whether or not it's going to be strong enough for use on guide wraps. Do this - take section of steel mandrel or rod, use the thread of choice to wrap a sturdy guide to it. Lock the steel rod in a vise and begin hanging weight from the guide. You can use barbell weights, bucket with water, etc. In short order you'll know if the thread is going to be sufficient for the task the rod is intended for. Most often, you will not break the wrap - the guide will deform and pull from under the wrap/s.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: December 12, 2019 12:19PM

I am sure the threads are up to the task of attaching the guides. Just worried about thread breakage while wrapping. The newer metallics just seem fragile compared to the gudebrod. I will look into the slimy thread.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 12, 2019 12:40PM

There is Hitena thread. They have lots of colors.
Norm

Posted by: Barry Weaver (---)
Date: December 12, 2019 06:38PM

Superior thread is real good locks up good and has some great colors. It is a embroidery thread so it is not the stongest, If you can find some Gudebrod HD metallic thread it is the strongest thread .

Date: December 12, 2019 06:46PM

Thanks for all the advice. I am really liking the options of the Hitena. First I heard of them. Some very interesting colors. Will be ordering some and see how it is to work with.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 12, 2019 09:24PM

Another vote for Hitena.

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: December 12, 2019 09:50PM

A vote down on Hitena , especially that crappy stretch thread , breaks easy and gives the fuzzys . I wrap metallic Prowrap and haven't had any trouble just back your tension down a little . I dont care for Fishhawk either .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2019 09:52PM by ron zimmerman.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: December 13, 2019 09:57AM

I have used Sulky metallic for years on guide wraps with no issues. It is not as strong as the Gudebrod but strong enough that it does it job. I would recommend backing off on the tension on Sulky compared to the Gudebrod Metallics.

DG

Date: December 16, 2019 04:50PM

Update here. I got some hitena thread today. Have not wrapped with it yet. However it is stronger than anything I have tried recently as far as metallic thread goes. Also got some of their metallic twists. Real nice thread. Will play with it and see how it works out. At least this is worth trying. Most of my recent thread purchases never made it onto the wrapper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster