I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Multi purpose steelhead rod length?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.wellington.ca)
Date: December 11, 2019 03:00PM

Hi all. I'm curious what other builders would consider as the most versatile rod length for steelhead?

For instance, I fish in the Southern Ontario area in various Great Lakes tributaries which can vary quite a bit in size. Lately I have been sticking to two main methods - casting spinners/spoons and float fishing with jigs/soft plastics/roe bags.

I've been using spinning reels with rods built from 11 foot switch rod blanks but am considering trying a 9.5 or 10.5 foot length medium light steelhead blank. In the past I have used rods that varied from 8.5 to 13 feet but these were very specific to a technique.

I'm now looking for one rod which can do my two preferred techniques decently, recognizing that some compromises will need to be made.

Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Multi purpose steelhead rod length?
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2019 03:49PM

Hello Tom - If you are considering medium light rod blanks in the 9.5 or 10.5 foot length, MHX Steelhead Rod blanks have you covered, ST1142-MHX [www.mudhole.com] or ST1262-MHX [www.mudhole.com] - Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Brandon parlacoski (---)
Date: December 11, 2019 06:20PM

North fork st 962 or 964 are awesome 9’6” always seems to be my go to. A little extra length is always nice for floats but that always depends on the size of river and how much room you have overhead to cast

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 11, 2019 06:25PM

I wonder how a 9 foot hot-shot blank would serve your very different needs?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 11, 2019 08:05PM

Jim Bedford an expert on spinner fishing the Midwast for 35 years and author of many articles in national magazines and books, likes a short rod for spinners 7 1/2 ft last I heard, but he fishes some pretty tight stuff. A 9 1/2 ft blank like the Rainshadow XST1142, or 1143 are an excellent choice as would the same in the IST format. If you're fishing small hooks while float fishing choose the lighter blank.

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: December 11, 2019 11:26PM

No one rod can do it all but a 9'6" rod rated 6-12 would be well served with floats and hardware. The NFC 964-2 is a great stick.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.wellington.ca)
Date: December 12, 2019 12:31PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I get there will always be trade-offs since the techniques I am using are so different, but am looking for the "middle ground". Usually I am heading up river casting hardware and then drift floats on the way back down.

So rather than bringing two rods I'll make due with one and the 9'6" seems to be the leading length. I'll check out NFC, MHX and the Rainshadow blanks as recommended.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 12, 2019 12:40PM

Lots of info on Rainshadow blanks in your specifics, and much more in general in the search function here. Just make sure you select "all dates".

Posted by: John Lively (---)
Date: December 13, 2019 09:32PM

I did exactly what you are suggesting a few years ago. Wanted a rod for centerpinning and spinning for steelhead. Started with a 9'6" St Croix, and used it for a year or two. Wasn't unhappy with it, but then built a 10'6" rod to get better control/longer drifts and castability with the centerpin. And now I'm building an 11'6" just for centerpinning and have a spinning reel on the 9'6" rod.

I would say if you are floating with a spinning reel then a 9'6 rod would be fine. If you plan to centerpin I think the longer rod aids greatly in castability and control. You can cast with less effort with the longer rod is what I mean. Just my own two cents.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster