I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Selecting reel help
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 11, 2019 01:42PM

I am building a Mudhole L905 7’6” 12-25#. 1/2 - 3 oz light surf fishing rod. I am thinking of buying a Daiwa Saltist 3000 reel to complete the setup. I’m looking for opinions on that reel or suggestions for a different reel. I appreciate your help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Selecting reel help
Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2019 02:36PM

I just got a Saltist 3000 from a buddy of mine and am in the process of building a rod for it. These look like great reels and I got a knob for it on Amazon the "SAN LIKE Handle Knob" 35mm fits it perfectly and the color matches. I think that would be great reel for what you are trying to do if you will be using braid. I am building on Fuji Point Blank PB-761MF. I got Seaguide Ti High framed RS ring; 20, 10, 5.5 and 4s for guides. I found the Fuji metallic thread 908 Ice Blue (perfect match) and a grey metallic thread for accents along with black poly. Using a Fuji TVS-TJK17 reel seat with the blue carbon insert and am turning some EVA to fit the handle up with the Fuji winding checks and trim rings. To say the least I am excited. Although I have not fished it yet it looks like a very nice reel that will hold up in saltwater. I have had other Daiwa spinning reels and they have held up very good. I have been disappointed with this new generation of Penn spinning reels due to issues caused by saltwater.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 11, 2019 06:27PM

I would seriously reconsider your blank choice and i say that based on the length . You mention "Surf rod" and in my experience surf rods need to be at least 8 feet long to deliver worthwhile casting distance especially if casting from the beach . I tried a few 7'6" inch rods in the surf over the years and was very disappointed by their lack of quality distance potential . When i tried an 8 footer i was thrilled , a big casting distance advantage with very very little if any noticeable weight increase.

The Daiwa Saltist 3000 is not a bad choice at all , good reputation , weight is right in the ballpark for having a very balanced outfit coming in at approx 15 ounces and the drag range is acceptable offering 15.4 pounds which will handle just about any surf fish without trouble although most surf reels in this size offer 20 pounds of drag or more.

The two blanks i would choose over the one you mentioned are listed below if you want to stick with MHX blanks.

MHX 9'0" Medium Surf Rod Blank - SU1087F-2-MHX

MHX 8'0" Med-Light Surf Rod Blank - SU965F-MHX

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 11, 2019 08:38PM

I appreciate your concern about the blank choice. I have other surf rods and just got wanted use a light rod at the time conditions are right to cast to the close troughs. I have watched a number of fisherman on the beach using similar size rods. I realize it will not be appropriate for a lot of surf conditions. I am fishing Playalinda beach at the Kennedy Space Center. I also bought some 2oz and 3 oz Sputnik sinkers. I guess I am looking for some new surf experiences. Time will tell!!

Posted by: Robert Ford (---)
Date: December 11, 2019 11:28PM

I have that very model Saltist and can tell you it's a fine reel,as are most Daiwa products. Smooth,reliable,and it looks cool! I've put it to the test and it's nothing short of flawless.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: December 12, 2019 12:38AM

Herb Knowlton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I appreciate your concern about the blank choice.
> I have other surf rods and just got wanted use a
> light rod at the time conditions are right to cast
> to the close troughs. I have watched a number of
> fisherman on the beach using similar size rods. I
> realize it will not be appropriate for a lot of
> surf conditions. I am fishing Playalinda beach at
> the Kennedy Space Center. I also bought some 2oz
> and 3 oz Sputnik sinkers. I guess I am looking for
> some new surf experiences. Time will tell!!

OK then , sounds like you already know it's casting distance limitations and you're OK with it since you won't have to cast far .

Enjoy yourself and be safe especially if you fish the overnight hours , iv'e had to deal with some real scary people out there at night over the years.

Posted by: Tony Boschi (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2019 07:42AM

Someone once told me to get a Van Stahl. I cringe at their prices and I mean CRINGE when I see the price tag, but if you're looking for a reel that supposedly never, ever fails and is the epitome of "everything resistant", its the reel of choice and I see plenty of guys with them at the beach here in Cocoa Beach. If you're planning on never getting rid of that reel, its an investment that makes sense.

I have a few Penn Spinfisher 6500's that I have had on my 2 main rods that I use at the beach. I have been using them for over 20 years now and they also go out on the boat for trolling trips for Dolphin as well as pulling Red Snapper from the bottom.

Recently, because I use Penn Battle II 4000's and Penn Conflict 4000's, I opted for some new Penn Battle II 6000's and bought 4 of them from a guy on that E bay who was just having the "sale of sale's" and as my girlfriend said, "You'd be a fool NOT to buy them. Sealed ball bearings, everything is anodized aluminum and with "yearly maintenance, they perform like they are new every time I take them out. Spray them off, loosen the drags and keep them in the A/C in the house for a day and they are ready to go next time I head out.

I'm kind of brutal when it comes to all my reels as I tend to "wade fish" from a kayak and all my Penn 4000's have gone under, completely, more than once and have never failed me.

I'll throw this out there as a vote for Penn reels.

By the way Herb, I am fishing a little South of you. I usually do 90% of my fishing in Cape Canaveral around Pierce or Buchanan. The "Fishing And Diving Center" in Cape Canaveral ALWAYS has sand fleas and they are at the top of the street.

Tony Boschi
Banana River Rods
Merritt Island, Florida
321~525~1063

* Rapid Prototyping Services
* Custom Beach Rods
* Custom Inshore Rods

[bananariverrods.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2019 07:49AM by Tony Boschi.

Posted by: Don Mang (---)
Date: December 13, 2019 06:19AM

Since your talking reels, I'd like to add a little something. I collect and restore vintage Mitchell reels. On all my reels fresh or saltwater reels, I put a thin coat of Corrosion Bock grease all over inside and out. Of course I wipe the outside down! Just this season fishing an inlet in NJ, I hooked a boat prop witch took the rig (Penn 4400ss) right out of my hands into the inlet. A guy next to me snagged it, I flushed it with water on the spot. When I got home and opened it up, all the water was beaded up, I could have just flushed it out with tap water. But took it apart and repeated the process. Stuff is also great for car batteries, in cold weather.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster