I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CRB rod dryer
Posted by: Brandon Johnson (---)
Date: December 10, 2019 01:48AM

I just purchased the CRB D.C variable speed rod dryer. When I turned the dryer on it is extremely load no matter what speed it is at! Does anyone else use this particular dryer? If so is yours extremely load?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CRB rod dryer
Posted by: james stavola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2019 06:54AM

Yes it is loud,on a low setting its better. The sound is from the motor itself. I put a little grease on the gears & made no difference. Hard to access the motor to lubricate & didn’t want to mess with it any further.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 10, 2019 11:05AM

Brandon,
The solution to the issue is to put a different motor in place of the current motor that is more quiet.

The noise emanates from gears in the geara train that is on the front of the motor. If one searches, one can find a similar motor with a better gear train that makes less noise.

One thing that you can try - that MAY help. Remove the cover plate in the gear train, after you have taken the motor off of the stand. Then, use white lithium grease to coat the gears. It may or may not help with the noise.
Another thing that you can do is to put about 3 layers of waffle weave rubber matting under the dryer.
For example:

[www.walmart.com]

Often the motor noise travels down the motor mount to the surface on which the dryer is resting. Then, the noise gets amplified by the surface of the thing on which the dryer is resting.

This shelf liner is nice to keep around for use in other areas. It makes a perfect tool box liner to absorb sound and to keep things from slipping. If you want the liner to be semi permenant, just spray the bottom of the dryer with contact cement, to attach the rubber liner and then use a razor knife to cut to size.

Take care

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 10, 2019 01:34PM

I agree with Roger put something soft and vibration absorbent under the base of the motor, it should lower the motor noise to a tolerable level.

John

Posted by: David DeBruhl (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: December 10, 2019 03:39PM

I replaced mine with this motor. A lot quieter, but still some noise.

[www.amazon.com]

I also picked up this mount. It was $3.49 when I purchased this mount.

[www.amazon.com]

Works with the speed controller on CRB.

David

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 10, 2019 06:25PM

In addition, one can rubber mount the motor in its motor mount.
Enlarge the holes in the motor mount. Insert a RUBBER grommet into the hole.
Take an appropriately sized piece of brass tubing that will go through the rubber grommet, but still allow a longer 3 mm machine screw to slip through and mount the motor.
Under the head of the machine screw, place an appropriately sized washer. The piece of brass tubing and washer will give the mount stability, but not compress the rubber grommet.

Then, when the motor is turned on and it generates some noise, the noise will be largely contained in the motor and very little will be passed on to the mount, and thence onto the surface that the motor is mounted on.

Basically, you are creating the equivalent of the following link for a hard disk drive isolation mount. The following link is for 6-32 machine screws.

One needs to create a mount for a 3 mm machine screw.

[www.amazon.com]

----------------------------------------
I expect that these vibration isolation grommets might work well to mount the motor as long as one used longer 3 mm machine screws:

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2019 06:36PM by roger wilson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster