I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Free Shipping; Is It Worth It?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 09, 2019 11:09PM

While all of us rod builders, and anyone else for that matter, like to take advantage of getting something for FREE, caution needs to be employed as, “anything too good to be true generally is”. In this case, FREE SHIPPING offered by a multitude of businesses may have down-sides which are unacceptable; slow, extended shipping times being on top of the list. Large businesses with large volume shipping can contractually set-up special arrangements with shippers to save them money but at the expense extended shipping delays for their customers. In its most basic form, these programs utilize bulk shipping where a container is not moved until it is full before going to the next location. This can cause huge delays! Unfortunately, the responsibility of learning which businesses employ such arrangements is left up to us, as businesses using such certainly do not post so and try to exonerate themselves by stating “baring shipper delays”.
This all may be a mood-point to many of you who receive your orders in a timely fashion; if so, continue using your present supplier and disregard the remaining. For others who experience slow shipping from a vendor, consider asking exactly what the shipping time frame is when placing an order. After all, you are the customer and have a right to know. Extended shipping times for parts can jeopardize the prompt, expected delivery time of a customer rod.
Allow me to afford a pathetic example of how poorly FedEx is handling a present order from a major rod building supplier to me about 20 minutes east of downtown L.A. The original stated delivery date was Friday, 12/06, (which was acceptable) but then postponed to Saturday, 12/07 (still somewhat acceptable).
The order was placed on the morning of Tuesday, 11/26, sat there for an extra day, picked-up by FedEx on Friday, 11/29, arrived in Pomona, CA Monday 12/2 which is 20 minutes east of me, arrived in Walnut, CA on Tuesday which is 15 minutes east of me, arrived in La Puente on Wednesday which is 5 minutes east of me but was then shipped somewhere in L.A. which is 20-40 minutes west of me, spent all day Thursday “in transit”, arrived in Pacoima, CA Friday, 45 minutes north of me, and then arrived in Bloomington, CA Saturday, which is 1hour east of me, and the expected delivery is now not until Wednesday 12/11. I have called FedEx twice and got the same meadow-muffins spewing from the managers’ mouths while affording no reasonable explanation other than my package being delivered with “free shipping”.
My order was in FedEx’s possession less than 5 minutes away last Wednesday and yet it continues to bounce all over the southland everywhere except being delivered to me. So close yet so far.
The moral of the story is to be certain your order will be delivered within the timeframe required, FREE or not. But it is up to you to ask when placing the order. The shipments from virtually all the vendors I have used to the left, FREE or not, have been received well within 5 days, most within 3-4 days; only one business takes 2 weeks which is totally unacceptable. At the time of placing my order, I stressed how important timely delivery was; yet again the request fell upon deft ears. I will now be hard pressed to complete and deliver these three Christmas rods within time.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Free Shipping; Is It Worth It?
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 10, 2019 08:19PM

I'm in that sinking Boat, $200 Order placed Nov 30 with Florida vender on the left. Their were No indications the 3 items were not in Stock? I Just checked order status and it is still {Awaiting Fulfillment} I just now canceled it. As I fly out of town friday afternoon for a Long overdue! Family Holiday until 2020. I don't see it making it to Mich in 2 1/2 days when it's still waiting Awaiting Fulfillment ??? I'm hearing shipping Horrors from others as well. That are Not rod building related ?? In years past my UPS driver had a helper to run package's up to the door, This year he's on his Own? I actually have had my best on time shipping service from USPS Of all shippers. ???? Kinda like the rock band, The Who -- Got a feeling inside (can't explain)
It's a certain kind (can't explain) Lol. Holiday cheer's Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2019 09:09PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2019 10:13PM

Right now we are in the most congested period of shipping, don't expect normal service!

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: December 11, 2019 03:03AM

I don’t build rods as a business only as a hobby whenever I have some free time which has not been often lately that being said we aren’t dealing with perishable or life saving products. A custom rod for Christmas should be ordered 3 months or more out to insure completion. Most companies I have dealt with will ship usps priority if I paid the extra cost when I needed an item more quickly. I think too many folks are spoiled from Amazon Prime where they can order an everyday item and get next day or at most 2.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2019 01:31PM

It has always amazed me how a package can come from some place within 100 miles of your house and then take a country wide trip up to 1000 miles away before you get it. If it is free shipping, I always take it. I have paid extra for priority and still got it after it was supposed to be here, so what is the point. I also have Amazon prime but just because of the video part, it really is a good bargain. I would recommend to the vendors on the left to sell their products through Amazon. I am sure they would see a profit margin increase. The only problem I could see may be having enough available inventory.

Posted by: David Miller (---)
Date: December 11, 2019 03:01PM

It would be impossible to keep every single item in stock and still keep the pricing low.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.clv.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 11, 2019 03:07PM

Our how china's Bangood can ship a package, China Post for $2, Then hand it off to usps, And you receive it in 9 days??? Which is exactly what my son experienced 2 weeks ago for some computer parts. And yes it was shipped in China, Not a usa vendor. It may be time for UPS - Fedex to look at how that's done.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 11, 2019 09:38PM

Jay,

It is simple.

The Chinese government pays for the full cost of air shipping of products from mainland china to mainland us. About the only cost is from the US shipper after it is received from the Chinese shipper.
In a word, it is government subsidy to the chinese suppliers to garner business from around the world.

Be safe

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 11, 2019 09:59PM

I'd be happy if vendors would show if an item's not in stock when I add it to my cart.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster