I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning Demos
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2019 10:24AM

I ran into Morris Schlesinger this past Saturday at a local woodworking event. The injury that prevented him from attending and presenting at the 2019 Expo is completely healed and he is making preparations to present several seminars and demonstrations at the upcoming 2020 Expo in February. In addition to his usual, day-long ongoing, hands-on demos, he will be presenting on the following topics:

Basic Handle and Grip Turning

Advanced Turning - Curves, Spirals and Shapes

Custom Turned Acrylic Winding Checks

Sharpening Lathe Tools

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning Demos
Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---)
Date: December 09, 2019 11:30AM

Great to know that he recover from the injury and that he is back to the Expo!

Abraço
Nuno

Posted by: Bob Ginther (---.stormvip.com)
Date: December 09, 2019 12:12PM

Any chance that videos of his presentations will be posted online anywhere, sometime? Where is the 2019 Expo, out east somewhere I assume?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 09, 2019 12:58PM

Hello Bob.

The 2019 Expo was last February in Winston-Salem NC, as will be the 2020 Expo this February.

P.S. Glad Morris is going to be there this year, I've booked my room & its looking good for me to make it this year

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 01:00PM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: December 09, 2019 01:19PM

No, we won't make videos of the seminars. Seminars make lousy videos.

As 70% of the custom rod builders in North America live east of the Mississippi River, the show has always been located on the eastern side of the country. Just a matter of demographics I'm afraid.

Posted by: William Giokas (---)
Date: December 10, 2019 02:59PM

I wonder why he chose a wood lathe instead of mini metal lathe to turn his grips?

Date: December 10, 2019 03:58PM

Because more rod builders have wood lathes and the shapes involved are more quickly turned on a wood lathe.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2019 07:32PM

A wood lathe is much more versatile for turning wood or cork, the throw is generally larger as well as bed lengths.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster