I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe work !!
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 07, 2019 11:22AM

I was making a new machine yesterday. I was using my lathe to machine down some parts for the rod building machine.

I was using sand paper to clean up a part with the lathe turning at 4000 rpm. While, I was using the lathe, the tip of my glove got caught between the sandpaper and the work that I was turning. Suddenly the rod and my hand became twisted around the work piece.

Fortunately with the high speed that I was running, the lathe also has the least amount of power and when the resistance from my wound up hand, arm, work and sand paper came to a head, the chuck stopped turning because the belt was slipping.

Then, I was able to reach over with my free hand and turn off the lathe motor.

I unwound my self out of the work piece and massaged my arm, wrist hand and fingers for a good while to restore everything to normal.

I was chatting with my brother who does a good amount of wood turning on his lathe. He wears gloves, but he cuts the fingers off of the gloves. He does this for the exact reason to avoid the accident that I had yesterday. No glove finger tips to get caught in a work piece. Lathes are great and can do wonderful things, But, as with any sort of machinery, they need to be used safely.

After recovering, cleaned up, went back to work and finished the project. But, I am so thankful that I had no short or long term damage to my body.

Be safe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe work !!
Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: December 07, 2019 12:23PM

Scary stuff Roger, glad that you're alright!

I was a tool & die maker for over 12 years. NEVER wear gloves (even fingerless gloves) long sleeves, etc. around a lathe!!!!!!!!!! NEVER use a rag (or especially your shirt tail...) to wipe off a rotating part. A lathe/drill press/mill/grinder can grab cloth and suck it and you into it WAY faster than you can react. Same with using sandpaper/emery cloth to sand rotating parts - hold it so that if it catches it pulls out of your hand and NOT with it intertwined in your fingers.

Be especially careful when working alone. People that have gotten sucked into more powerful lathes have ended up being "collected" with a sponge.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2019 12:38PM

Scary Roger !! It seems these things happen as we very familiar and comfortable using machinery. Table saws are a good example as are lathes.

We all will gain some cautions from your experience. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Bill Davis (172.77.48.---)
Date: December 07, 2019 12:44PM

Roger,

Thanks for sharing what could have been a disaster.

Thank Goodness you're OK!!

Bill

Date: December 07, 2019 01:22PM

Copy that Dan!

Date: December 07, 2019 01:50PM

A question for those who used to (and I hope no longer do) wear gloves while using a lathe/drill press/grinder, etc:

What was the reason for doing so?

If it's to be able to handle work parts that get hot, spraying an item with water, or stopping the lathe and wrapping the work piece with a wet rag are better alternatives.

If it's to save time washing your hands during a project, or to be able to grip things better, there are better options.

Please also wear eye protection when using power tools. I've seen too many drill bits, grinding wheels, cut-off wheels, and tool bits. virtually explode, and also work pieces that slip/break/whatever and are sent flying.

To paraphrase an old saying: Using power equipment is only fun until someone gets hurt. So let's avoid the getting hurt part!

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2019 05:34PM

I work in a dangerous industry and the things that will get you are the ones you are most familiar with. We take things for granted and forget about the little stuff . Glad your alright Roger, would not want anything to happen to the guy with all the cool tools for every job. Maybe you and all of uss, should do a Job Safety Analysis (JSA) before the start of each job or task. Identify the hazards and mitigate each one. I think no gloves would be a good start.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.s2807.c3-0.drf-cbr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcncustomer.com)
Date: December 07, 2019 05:47PM

In rod building we sometimes use our lathes to turn items like reel seat inserts and cork grips – often on steel mandrels. Those of us who have been around for a while remember the late Mike Barklay’s lathe accident. He was turning something on a steel mandrel, and the mandrel worked itself to the left and deeper into this lathe chuck. The other end of the mandrel lost contact with the live center and when that happened the mandrel whipped around uncontrollably, bending outward and striking him in the abdomen.

While this isn’t a “catch” type of accident we should try to learn from his mishap and remember to use a drill stop on our mandrels to avoid lateral travel, and resulting loss of contact with the live center.

In fact, it’s a good idea to pause periodically during any turning activity to inspect our project to ensure everything remains secured.

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 07, 2019 09:12PM

Thanks for sharing that with us. A scary story but a great wake up call. It only takes a blink fo an eye for disaster to occur.

Gald you are OK.

John

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.203.---)
Date: December 08, 2019 08:15AM

Glad to hear you got your warning, and suffered no damage receiving it. I think we all need to hear a warning on a regular basis. Power tools are dangerous, and complacency is what bites us when we least expect it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 08, 2019 06:12PM

A few suggestions about when using mandrels.

A collet is the better choice to hold mandrels! It grips the round shaft on it's entire circumference, unlike chucks that grip in 3 or 4 places depending upon the number of jaws. This grip is far more secure and if tightened down well, is not subject to slippage.

Secondly, have only as much of the mandrel extended from the collet or chuck as is necessary to hold the work piece. Excess shaft is more likely flex and if is what whips if loose from the tail stock.

Use a Jacobs chuck to hold the tail stock end. This again more secure then the usual live tail stock center.

Date: December 08, 2019 06:21PM

Copy that Phil.

An example of a live tail stock with a chuck mounted on the tail stock to grasp the mandrel at the end of the lathe away from the driving chuck:

[www.pennstateind.com]

A relative inexpensive accessory that can save a lot of injuries, if one should happen to lose control on a conventional tail stock.

Take care

Date: December 08, 2019 07:04PM

Good points Phil. Collets, besides holding items more securely, are also safer to work near than are the "meat grinder-like" 3 and 4 jaw chucks.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---)
Date: December 09, 2019 04:35PM

Roger and replying others,
First of all, Roger, I am glad you escaped without any more serious bodily harm and for reminding the rest of us how easily building a rod can become a dangerous disaster. Many others offered suggestions regarding safety as well. I think is really boils-down the common sense and avoiding complacency, with the latter possibly causing the lion’s-share of injuries. No loose clothing (including gloves) and pay very close attention to the operation, especially when using revolving/rotating equipment. As Dan Ertz stated,”…can grab cloth and suck it and you into it WAY faster than you can react”. I feel very fortunate to still have all my digits after all these years of fabricating and those few close calls are always huge wake-up reminders!!
BE SAFE!!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Date: December 09, 2019 05:14PM

Long hair is another hazard to mindful of near rotating equipment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster