I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AT Microwave Guide Set on a Pitching/Flipping Rod?
Posted by: Jason Hull (---)
Date: December 06, 2019 04:32PM

I'm brand new to rod building. So far I've made 4, and the components for my 5th one are on the way. I'm doing a flipping/pitching rod and I ordered the Microwave 12-6 guide set but now I'm wondering if those guides would be better on more of a traditional casting rod setup or if the microwave guide technology would actually be a good on a flip/pitch rod. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AT Microwave Guide Set on a Pitching/Flipping Rod?
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: December 06, 2019 04:55PM

They will work great on all applications... not necessary for flipping but will not hurt anything.

I even put the 18's on my offshore jigging rods... why not?

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: December 06, 2019 08:07PM

Jason, try out the search function on here. Type your topic, set it for all dates, and hit search. You might have to play around with your topic title a few times to find what you are looking for. Tons of info.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2019 03:07AM

No, it will not work...LOL. I have seen plenty of rods built this way and they function great. I don't think you will be disappointed. Anytime you can control/manage the line better the accuracy and the performance will be enhanced.

Posted by: Jeffrey D Rennert (---)
Date: December 07, 2019 08:24AM

Can't think of better purpose for the spiral wrap than pitching and flipping.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 07, 2019 08:48AM

Back in the archives, you've see a post in the M & M's that show that
a pitching rod's performance went up as the guide sizes went down. I believe he stopped with a six mm stripper down to three mm running guides, spiral wrapped.
I believe it was a Steve Gardner post, 8 years back or more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 08:50AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Jason Hull (---)
Date: December 07, 2019 10:14AM

Thanks everybody. I hadn't been searching "all dates" so I missed out on the years of other info before I posted. Looks like I have a bunch of reading to get into, I can't wait! I appreciate all the replies.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: December 08, 2019 10:08AM

Jason, if you look into the M&M’s you will find a ton of info specifically testing Steve Gardner did regarding a pitching rod. Although big companies have said there is no gain Steve’s tests indicated otherwise. If you do not use any knots (leaders) go as small as you can with the runners (like 3mm or even 2.5mm)

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 08, 2019 06:16PM

Or if you want you can use a size 10 stripper and then use size 8 runners to a size 8 tip and have a fine time pitching and catching a lot of fish. With larger guides you can use many fewer guides than are required with the use of micro guides.

Also, the larger and fewer guides take a lot less time to wrap - if that is important to you

But, as the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. But at the end of the day, you need a rod, a reel, some guides to guide the line down the rod and to keep it on the rod when landing the fish and you will be set.

Yes, there are advantages to one system or another - maybe with casting distance, maybe with total weight - but for an awful lot of folks, the extra 10 or 20% of this process, or procedure, or distance - simply makes 0 difference to them.

So, as a rod builder, consider your customer - then, build the rod that meets the needs of YOUR customer- not you, but your customer.

Some folks want a 4 oz rod, that will cast over the width of the lake and other folks want something else.

Others, want something else. Consider what your customers want and then build it.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster