I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mix and Matching Guides
Posted by: David Lee (---)
Date: December 05, 2019 04:05PM

Decided to cough up some money on the titanium RV6 guide for two builds. I can't justify doing a full titanium train so I'll have to do a little mix and match. I'm fairly condident that the titanium sics with the polished ss alconite guides will work, but not sure about the black titanium. Is there a color available thay would match it? Maybe Gunsmoke?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mix and Matching Guides
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 05, 2019 04:35PM

I just did one with the black titanium with the dark gray CC frame runners, looks fine. The runners are so small and dark that the difference is not that apparent. I've done your other proposal, too, and it works.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: December 05, 2019 06:25PM

The "looks" of a particular guide train are easily observed. The performance of any particular guide train is nowhere to be found. The conflict between form and function has a winner - form.

Date: December 05, 2019 09:38PM

Except for weight I have never found the frame or ring material to affect performance. But he was asking about appearance. And without buying the options, the best way to know how acceptable the appearance will be is to ask for the opinions of those who have tried them.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: December 06, 2019 09:43AM

Gunmetal SiC is almost a perfect match. GMKBSG etc.

Posted by: David Lee (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2019 11:14AM

I'm still following the KR concept layout so I'm not expecting to see any noticeable difference in performance if I go with CC guides instead of titanium. Performance is always #1, but if I'm building a custom rod I might as well make it look good! :) Thanks for chiming in everyone. Gunmetal it is!

Question:
For conventional rods, is the guide spacing just a matter of make sure it's spaced appropriately according to the bend? I've only built spinning rods on a KR concept so there's was a specific method for spacing the reduction train.

Date: December 06, 2019 01:54PM

By conventional you mean baitcast, right? Answer is yes.. Same principals as spin, same process exc you don't have a reduction train to figure out. Start with your RV about 19 " from the reel, move it in and out a little and test cast . Locate the runners (all one size works fine) by stress test. Often builders use more guides on micro cast rods built on top to keep the line from crossing under the blank under load. Many others build a spiral and don't need to add guides, exc for the one at 90 degrees (simple spiral-do a site search). Might even break even, cutting a runner depending on stress test.

My personal preference is to build on top (I seem insensitive to the torqueing - which with low micro guides has to be pretty low anyway) and don't really like the look of spirals. I usually add a couple guides, so a seven foot rod would have 9 or 10 guides. Rods cast great.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2019 03:30AM

Mostly I put more guides on top with micro guides to keep the line off the blank because it is already sitting so low because of the small guide size. When the line contacts the blank it slows it down. You want enough guides to achieve this whatever it is.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2019 05:12PM

If I'm reading your comment correctly - doesn't make much sense to me to have your lighter (Ti) guide(s) down low towards the butt - and the heavier (SS) guides up top near the tip. You will get so much better performance out of any blank with light components at the top.
Herb
CTS Distrib

Posted by: David Lee (158.71.78.---)
Date: December 10, 2019 03:37PM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I'm reading your comment correctly - doesn't
> make much sense to me to have your lighter (Ti)
> guide(s) down low towards the butt - and the
> heavier (SS) guides up top near the tip. You will
> get so much better performance out of any blank
> with light components at the top.
> Herb
> CTS Distrib

Right, but unfortunately the RV's only come in titanium and as much as I'd like to, I can't afford an all titanium guide train.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster