I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber grip
Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 04, 2019 10:34PM

I purchased a carbon fiber fore grip and after inspecting it I see there is no discernible coating over the weave. I contacted the vendor and they say there is no problem using the grip as is but I
would feel more comfortable if there were more of a solid finish on it.

I don't want to use thread finish because there would be too thick of a build up.So I am thinking of trying Krylon clear coating (paint) or trying a high quality paste wax.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber grip
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 04, 2019 10:36PM

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: December 04, 2019 11:57PM

The graphite sleeve over is prepegged, pre-saturated with epoxy, than baked to a consistant finish.

Date: December 05, 2019 11:22AM

Thanks Tom

I picked up some U-40 this morning..

Date: December 06, 2019 04:27PM

I used the U-40 Perma Gloss as instructed the grip turned out perfrect!

Again Thanks.

Date: December 06, 2019 07:03PM

Outstanding.

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---)
Date: December 09, 2019 04:24PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> ............

Tom, very cool video.

Any other options for applying PG to a carbon grip, if you don't have a lathe or high speed rod dryer?

TIA

Date: December 09, 2019 04:27PM

You could sort of swipe it on, although I don't think you'll get quite the same results.

I have never tried dipping, which would seem to require too much finish, but which might work.

Date: December 09, 2019 04:40PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> You could sort of swipe it on, although I don't
> think you'll get quite the same results.
>
> I have never tried dipping, which would seem to
> require too much finish, but which might work.
>
> ............

Thanks. Really like that glossy look on that grip you did in the video.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---)
Date: December 09, 2019 05:36PM

You can certainly mount your grip onto a mandrel of some sort and chuck it into a cordless drill. One hand holds the drill and the other hand applies the Permagloss with a foam brush while the grip turns at relatively high speed. Works great, and can’t be easier. Can also use your rod dryer or power wrapper. Any speed from about 20 RPMs and up works just fine. Hard to go wrong with any of these methods. You can apply another coat within an hour if you want.
Norm

Date: December 09, 2019 06:17PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
> You can certainly mount your grip onto a mandrel
> of some sort and chuck it into a cordless drill.
> One hand holds the drill and the other hand
> applies the Permagloss with a foam brush while the
> grip turns at relatively high speed. Works great,
> and can’t be easier. Can also use your rod dryer
> or power wrapper. Any speed from about 20 RPMs
> and up works just fine. Hard to go wrong with any
> of these methods. You can apply another coat
> within an hour if you want.
> Norm

Thanks Norm. I'll try one of those methods and see what happens. Right now my fastest rod dryer is 18 RPM.

Date: December 09, 2019 07:56PM

That will work just fine. You will be surprised how easy it is.
Norm

Posted by: Robert Dittert III (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 14, 2020 02:39PM

Finally got my order of PG. Bought the 4oz bottle, as it was twice the cost of the 1oz bottle. Bottle came with two caps, any reason? Once the bottle has been opened, it's best to store in the fridge?

At this time I'm going to use it to coat a couple of carbon fiber split grips. The grips are already glued onto the blanks (2 rods). Is there any concern applying the PG to the grips (butt caps & reel seats are not glued onto the grip/blank yet) since they are already on the blanks?

Tom mentioned about the foam brushes in his video, saying the brown sponge work better than the black foam brushes. Not sure I've seen the brown ones before, I know I've seen the black ones. These are one use brushes, correct? Can't clean and reuse these brushes? I'm going to run to Lowe's or Home Depot today or tomorrow and pick up a few brushes.

Shouldn't need much PG to coat a couple of split grips and fighting butts.

TIA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 10:35PM by Robert Dittert III.

Date: January 21, 2020 10:39AM

I have never seen brown foam brushes. If you use the black foam brushes with a wood (brown) handle from either Home Depot or Lowe’s or any paint store you will have no problems. Don’t use the ones with a plastic handle the foam on these are not as good and may break down. You should have no problem coating the handles already attached to the blank. One loaded brush should coat several handles without any problem. When finished throw the brush away.
I store PG in the refrigerator inside an jar with a tight fitting lid, with a little desiccant inside. This protects the PG from moisture, which causes it to cure. The extra cap that comes with the PG can be used if you gum up the original cap so it doesn’t seal well. Good luck.
Norm

Posted by: Dennis Penton (65.14.72.---)
Date: January 31, 2020 11:21AM

Any one ever try Wipe-On Poly on carbon fiber? I have used it on cork grips and like the fact that it is available in gloss and semi-gloss finishes... maybe even satin. The semi-gloss I used was absorbed into the cork and did not dramatically affect the sheen of the cork.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster