I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix boat rod with Pac Bay Unibutt?
Posted by: Christoher Miller (---.knology.net)
Date: December 03, 2019 06:28PM

First post...and thank you to those who put this site together and to all of those who have contributed to it. It has helped me get into rod building and I know it would have happened without the information I found here.

I'm planning my 4th rod build and I'm afraid I may be coloring too far outside the lines. My plan was to build a 7 to 8 foot boat rod for trolling, live bait and pitching large plugs near shore. I plan to target cobia, small tuna, dolphin, etc. So far I have a Pac Bay AB-1 aluminum fighting butt, and I picked up a clearance St Croix 2SWC66HF conv/spinning blank. I have a set of nice fuji corrosion control double foot spinning guides with 8mm running guides all sized for 7 to 8'. The rod will be paired with my IRT400.
1. Firstly am I trying to build too group too many purposes into one rod? Maybe I should just plan for trolling and cut bait? I'm thinking the blank is way to heavy even for big plugs but maybe not? Advice here.
2. I'm having a hard time with the idea of cutting down the butt. I'm stuck between the idea of just mounting the blank in the unibutt and having an 8' rod or cutting off 12" and going with the 7'. I'd like to hear pros or cons of each.
3. What happens if I spool it up with 40#...assuming I have the guides placed correctly for that line weight. I feel like I am under utilizing the blank and setting myself up for disappointment. I could use #50 braid but I'd only get 200 yds. The 1st three rods I build turned out great and I love them, I just don't want to go backward here.
4. Lastly I'm thinking I should get another blank and just use this one for another setup if I am not using it for plugs? Or maybe a different reel? If you have advice or experience I'd like to hear it. I don't have a lot of offshore or near shore experience. Mostly inshore is my thing.

Blank specs:
6'6" Heavy Fast 50-80 mono 65-100 braid

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix boat rod with Pac Bay Unibutt?
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: December 09, 2019 07:43AM

Way more rod than you need. Why the aluminum butt? You will get more enjoyment from fishing a lighter rod built with a 7 foot, 30 pound class blank. Build the handle on the blank.

Re: St Croix boat rod with Pac Bay Unibutt?
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: December 09, 2019 11:22AM

Hello Christoher.

Yes you are right, you can't use that blank for trolling, live bait and pitching large plugs near shore, all on the same blank.

The St Croix 2SWC66HF is a good blank for trolling but I would use a Tuff-Butt to keep the weight down a little compared to an aluminum butt.

I would also use a roller top or do a spiral wrap.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster