I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing wood handles
Posted by: Ed Bronk (---.dubuq1.ia.home.com)
Date: November 23, 2001 10:27AM

I am just a hobbist trying to build a few rods for close family and friends. I recently bought a lathe and shaped a few handles from walnut and cedar. However, I am having great difficutly getting a nice finish on the handles. I have tried 2 different epoxies with the same results. When I brush the epoxy on, the brush creates numerous bubbles which do not come out. I have tried loading the bristles with epoxy, I used a soft brisle as well as stiff bristle brush.

Can anyone offer tips on how to get a nice finish on the wood handles?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing wood handles
Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2001 11:02AM

Don't use epoxy. try a good poly-urethane. You might also trry saturating the surface with tung oil finish, such as Formby's first and let it dry thoroughly before applying the urethane.

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 23, 2001 11:18AM

Just a thought, but can wood handles be rotated like rods to develop a level, even finish? Also, if whatever product you use allows, try application with a spatula and hopefully this will eliminate much of the bubble problems. Also, be careful when mixing finishes, do not stir vigorously, and then let set for a couple of minutes. This helps in the bubble issue too. Don't have any experience with this, but just some thoughts.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 23, 2001 03:26PM

Give BirchWood @#$%& Tru-Oil a try. Put on coat and let dry overnight. Sand with 400 paper back down to the wood. Apply another coat and let dry. Sand with 400 back to the wood. Do it a third time and sand down again. That should even up any open grain or pores. Apply a final coat and that's it. (Use less coats if you have a very tight or pore-free wood.)

Easiest way to apply the stuff is with a piece of cheesecloth saturated with the Oil.. Just wipe the cloth down the handle making sure to cover all sides. That's all there is to applying it. Takes 10 seconds at best. Your final coat need not be sanded. This finish is tough and weather resistant. Easy to apply and work with.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 23, 2001 04:00PM

Ed,
I've had pretty good results using two part epoxy and rotating for a smooth level finish. It will take several coats to achieve this, and ends up with a very durable finish, as you can imagine. Also waterproof and longer lasting, but it does add weight if that's a concern to you.

Using high build Flex Coat and if the bubbles come up, will add heat from underneath with an alcohol lamp, but watch for any 'soot' carbon from forming. Do this by constant movement back and forth with the flame just providing heat and not scortching. Mainly just to pop the bubbles.

I use a soft bristle brush to apply the finish.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Davesrods (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: November 23, 2001 05:47PM

I just dip them in my varnish tube, and tru oil works great also.. You could also use a buffing wheel to get a nice shiny finish.. Knife builders just use a buffing wheel on their wood handles.. But these woods are impregnated, which you should do also.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2001 09:01PM

It is also possible to finish the handle right on the lathe with a woodturners wax. That is all you need for protection and resistance to the weather. There is also a product called Turner's Magic and it is a friction polish that has laquer in it. It is also designed to be applied on the lathe and the heat from friction makes it flow and set. I believe you can get it from HUT products. Do a search and find their website. You can order online. I have used it and think its tops.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster