I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mini wood lathe recommendations.
Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2019 11:59AM

I'm planning on buying a mini wood lathe on Amazon, I would like to stay under $500. For that price range what brand or what are you guys using out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mini wood lathe recommendations.
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2019 12:04PM

Penn State Industries has some very nice and reliable lathes, both mini and midi. have used a midi for years without any problems.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 02, 2019 07:19PM

Fernando,
I have one of these:

[www.amazon.com]

I also have the bed extension, as well as several different chucks, tail stocks and other accessories.

If you are going to do very much with a lathe - you will spend a fair amount of $$$$$$ on accessories like chucks tail stocks, tool rests etc. Lathe working tools, sand paper, a spare belt or two.

-----------------------

One of these lathes from Penn State industries might be the lathe for you:

[www.pennstateind.com]

Also, Penn State Industries has an excellent selection of lathe accessories:

[www.pennstateind.com]

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.public.wayport.net)
Date: December 02, 2019 08:46PM

The one Roger uses is identical to the Jet. One thing you need in a lathe is weight . The HF lathes are light and vibrate . Without the weight the project suffers greatly.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Ed Kramer (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2019 09:22PM

Depending on how anxious you are, look into Craig's list or other want ads/want ad sites. I found a Jet variable speed that was barely used for $300.00. It has been a solid performer since I bought it.

Date: December 02, 2019 10:23PM

Guys thank you very much!

Date: December 02, 2019 10:29PM

Guys thank you very much!

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2019 12:54AM

The thing about Lathes, think of what the "heaviest or biggest" thing you'll want to turn and bore, then make your decision on what to buy. A lot of the "pen turning lathes" might be a bit light in power to do what a lot of rod builders might want to do.

The online or paper classifieds are great places to find used lathes. I found my two lathes that way and they came with a lot of nifty items. I invested in a good 4 jaw chuck, collet chuck system and drill chucks. One lathe has a #1 Morse taper, the other has a #2.

I would not skimp on cutting tools, I use the carbide tipped tools, they have replaceable cutters and they do last and if you do not have a way to sharpen cutting tools, they are a good alternative since the replacement tips are reasonable to buy.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2019 08:13AM

The last issue of RodMaker featured on article on the essentials actually needed for using a lathe. Don't over-buy, but do get what you need.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2019 12:08PM

Fernando, that lathe in the link is the same one Mark Berry has. We did a Workshop at his house last month, while I was turning a grip the tailstock lock came loose and backed off - the mandlre was spinning at 3600rpm and shook his entire workshop. Mark ran over and cut off the power to his shop.. MArk had teh same thing happen to him the day prior and the mandrel smacked him in his hand. If you contact him he might make you a good deal on his lathe

Posted by: Fernando Arellano (---)
Date: December 03, 2019 01:13PM

The Penn state industries or the Amazon one?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2019 03:19PM

That Exaclibur one. When people say they are "exactly" the same or identical to - like anything else that is less expensive, corners are cut to get the price down. Since I've used both the Jet and the Excalibur, I can tell you they are not the same. HAving said that, you don't need to spend a ton of money as you're not going to put it through heavy usage. I would absolutely recommend getting variable speed, the additional cost is worth it

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2019 05:45PM

I have the nova comet 2. I will say that it’s the best for the money. Variable speed and I’ve turn everything from fly grips to offshore grips on it. [www.teknatool.com]

Date: December 03, 2019 06:33PM

How do you feel about the Penn state industries KWL-1018VS?

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 03, 2019 07:10PM

One of the lathes that I used to own, had a variable speed motor.

In theory, the variable speed should be great, and yes, the motor speed changed at the touch of a button.

BUT, this particular motor and control board had about a 3 second start up sequence. It might not seem that 3 seconds is very much, and it isn't. But three seconds is just enough to make the start up time irritating.

The current lathe has a 5 speed motor drive with movable belts and for my purposes work very well. It only takes a moment to change the belt to get a different speed, and the start up is instant.

So, what every works for you.

By the way, Billy mentioned a tail stock backing off and causing an issue.
I had a similar issue with my tail stock. To take care of the problem, I just cut a pair of aluminum bar stock with a hole in each and a bolt through the hole. This forms a very effective clamp, that I use with my tail stock.

I often use my lathe for boring metal turnings and really need the ability to have a very strong tail stock that will stay in place. The additional clamp takes care of any potential slippage issues.

But, lots of choices. Choose the unit that works best for you and your particular needs.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2019 09:15PM

Nova sells quality tools. Jet, Delta and Rikon have similar machines.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2019 10:11PM

The variable speed Penn State a instant start-ups. Lathe speed responds at once to changes of the dial. Using a midi for 10 years, never had a loosening or backing off issue.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: December 04, 2019 12:02AM

I also use a Penn state turncrafter pro VS, and it has literally been bullet proof, and it gets a lot of use

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster