I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Dryer?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2019 12:03AM

Need a recommendation for a decent rod dryer. Had a custom rod builder from mudhole. Was doing some finishing of test wraps tonight. Figured out some of my past finish leveling issues. There is so much play in the motor shaft that the rod was rotating a good 1/8 inch out of round. At times it smooth and rhythmic other times it would jump around. Only used it on three rods. I am done with it don't want to try another. So whats a good one. Want something in 9 to 18 RPMs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Dryer?
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2019 08:34AM

Hello Michael -- Very sorry to hear you had issues withe the dryer. At anytime you have a problem, it is best to directly contact our Customer Service department so that they can make it right for you. You can do so by calling the toll free number, 866-790-7637. I have also forwarded this message to our Customer Service Manager. Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 02, 2019 08:43AM

Michael,
Just a thought:
Here is a picture of a dryer that I built:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

The motor is a 32 rpm 24 volt DC gear motor. The chuck is a Flex Coat chuck with their clutch. The stand is a simple piece of aluminum. The power supply is an inexpensive 24 volt dc power supply. The speed controller is an inexpensive dc motor speed controller.
The speed controller, allows the motor speed to be varied from 2-the motor top speed of 32 rpm. The faster speed is nice for applying finish. With the use of the clutch, it is easy to stop the rod from turning, when working on applying finish to tunnels and other troublesome spots on a guide. Then the motor can be dialed down to a slower long term drying speed of 2-10 rpm. A classic overnight drying speed is 6 rpm and is used by many folks for the long overnight drying time.

I much prefer the use of a variable speed dc gear motor for a dryer motor compared to a fixed rpm of 9 or 18 rpm with a timing motor. A timing motor can run in either direction and can sometimes change direction when one does not the direction to change.

But, plenty of other choices on the market as well.

--------------------
You did raise a very good point about shaft runout. Certainly on some inexpensive systems, there may be an issue with run out, or as you said, a bunch of play in the motor shaft that keeps the chuck from running true and on center when turning the rod.
But, a good motor with good bearings and a chuck, like the flex coat chuck and clutch, runs dead true with little to no run out at all.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---)
Date: December 02, 2019 09:40AM

Thought of the DIY route. Can you recommend a source for the motor and control. Thanks

Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2019 04:50PM

Here are our latest OEM quality USA made motors.

[flexcoat.com]

[flexcoat.com]

[flexcoat.com]

Here is a video on the latest DC Variable Speed Gear Motor.
[www.youtube.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: December 02, 2019 06:28PM

I would like variable speed. Would like to get below the 40 rpm of the flexcoat motor. Only other variable is the CRB from mudhole. Which is a different motor than my current one. Perhaps it will have less runout. Got to give this some thought.

Date: December 03, 2019 10:30AM

Michael,
Over the years, I have done a lot of searching for suitable items.
Surplus stores can sometimes provide a find for you.

For example:

(MOT) BDQC-5008651

From -- [www.surplussales.com]

This is a 12 volt motor that turns 20 rpm at 12 volts. It has a 1/4 inch shaft that will accommodate various chuck and or pulley systems.

Here for example is a 12 volt dc speed controller with a 110v ac input voltage. The use of this controller with the motor will let you vary the speed of the motor from about 2 rpm to 20 rpm as you wish:

[www.amazon.com]

If you can build a rod, you can build a stand to hold the motor and a chuck of your choice.

Just another facet of search and make new discoveries.

But, as shown above, there are a lot of other finished commercial rod dryers of your choice.

Enjoy the hunt and the satisfaction of making the perfect find to fill your particular needs.

Take care

Posted by: Pat Retlich (---.clevwi.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: December 03, 2019 11:12AM

Here is the motor I use for drying if your on a budget. 110V-AC-8-10RPM-CW-CCW-TYD-50-3W-Synchronous-Motor-Low-Noise-Robust-Torque- found on a site I can't mention.

Pat Retlich

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 07:13PM by Pat Retlich.

Date: December 03, 2019 11:50AM

Roger Thanks. I will do some more indepth searching. The motor in the link seems to to be an option. Have to research the joining of it and the controller. Between their site and amazon I should be able to figure something out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 11:56AM by Michael Sutheimer.

Date: December 03, 2019 07:16PM

Michael,
If you can, give the flex coat chuck and clutch a try. With their 1/4 inch id on the coupler, the chuck will mount right on the motor shaft and will give you the trouble free ability to dry rods at will with trouble free performance.

Take care

Posted by: ron zimmerman (---.tcso.qwest.net)
Date: December 04, 2019 01:35PM

I use two , a flex coat and an crb 9 rpm . I prefer the CRB as it has an on an off switch inline and intermittent action that the Flex coat doesn't . No trouble from either one . I also use an outside supplier for a few select parts like an inexpensive self centering chuck and noodle tip wrapper extension . The $15 self entering chuck may also work on your wrapper , I dont know .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 04:42PM by ron zimmerman.

Date: December 06, 2019 01:50AM

Roger I am still thinking on the the chuck. However thanks to your suggestions I did my research and got confident I could make something as good or better than what is available. Found everything I needed on amazon. Got a 60rpm for a few bucks less than the 20rpm you mentioned. Got a speed controller. Went with a separate power adapter. It is adjustable for different voltages so it may come in handy for other things in the future. Need to make the mount for everything yet. However I made all the connections tonight. It all works and nothing caught on fire. Which is an accomplishment for me when it come to electrical. Thanks again.

Date: December 06, 2019 08:30AM

Michael,
As you may or may not know, if you want a DC motor to turn in the opposite direction, just reverse the polarity of the voltage going to the motor.

i..e put the - connection on the former + connection and visa versa.

This can be done with a cross wired double pole, double throw switch or a universal plug that can be plugged in either way to power the motor.

Now and then, folks want a dryer to turn in the opposite direction from its normal direction.

Take care

p.s.
Here is a nice link with pictures to wire a switch to reverse the direction of a dc motor:

[www.instructables.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster