I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5 Minute Epoxy ?
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2019 11:45PM

Need a recommendation for a 5 minute epoxy. I have always used one of the "rodbuilding" epoxies. Just went to glue up a skeleton reel seat with Pro Glu 5 minute. Just got the batch. Don't use much so I got the syringe size. Went to mix and the hardener would not come out of the tube. Let it warm up. Tried again the syringe exploded. So I need some epoxy and don't want to place an order for one item and want to get the rod going. All kinds of 5 minute epoxies in the hardware store. Most of them say not for use with certain types of plastics. Well despite them being called "graphite" a reel seat is some type of plastic. What type of hardware store epoxy have you used to glue skeleton reel seats to wood insert that has bonded good and held up long term? Looking for liquid not paste or gel.Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 Minute Epoxy ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2019 08:22AM

Devcon will work. The type plastics that won't adhere with epoxy are the types used for things like kitchen cutting boards. Nylon reel seats are bondable with most epoxies provided you properly prepare the surfaces.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.201-34-174.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: December 01, 2019 08:42AM

Another vote for Devcon 5 minute. Every hardware store will have it.

And if you can wait 24 hours the Devcon 2 ton is theoretically stronger and works well for most rod building epoxy tasks.

Drew

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: December 01, 2019 09:37AM

Another good 5 minute epoxy is JB Weld "Clear Weld" Home Depot sells it.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 01, 2019 02:32PM

Gorilla Glue 5-min epoxy works well for me on rods and golf clubs.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 01, 2019 02:38PM

Although 5 minute epoxy is fine and give you about 90 seconds of working time, I prefer the use of 15 minute epoxy to give about a 5 minute working time - if doing one piece grip, reel seat and fore grip lay ups all at the same time.

Take care

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: December 01, 2019 03:56PM

Tend to agree on 15-minute. 5-minute leaves no time for error and little time for adjustment. 15-min not easy to find in traditional stores.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2019 05:43PM

I typically use a gel type slow set epoxy for all my glue ups. Just using the 5 minute for the reel seat. Got the hood the threaded barrel and wood insert. I glue the hood to the insert let set. Make a second batch, then glue the threaded barrel on. I don't like trying to line two things up at once, even if I have longer work time.

I was able to find the JB clear weld. Should work.Says works with plastics. Does not seem too thick which is good I need a thin layer. Thanks for all the advice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: December 02, 2019 08:52AM

This is one of my favorite 15 minute epoxies:

[bsi-inc.com]

OR:
[www.amazon.com]

I enjoyed the hobby of radio control airplanes for many years. Bob Smith and Pacer were both adhesives of choice.

Take care

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: December 05, 2019 08:11AM

I am not a fan of the 5 minute epoxy. It dries way too fast for rod building in my opinion. When fixing something that is broken, whole different story.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster