I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

In between tip top sizes
Posted by: Mike Gabbay (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2019 10:21AM

Guys

I’m working on a bait casting rod. The blank is an MHX CB783. According to the Mudhole site it should be a size 5 barrel. When I dry fit a size 5 tip top on it feels loose and flops down. If I go to a 4.5 it is snug and the barrel stops about 1/16” from bottoming out. Measuring down about 1/2 it measures 4.5/64”.

Will the glue fill the gap on the size 5 enough to be strong enough?

Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In between tip top sizes
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.rcsntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2019 10:40AM

If it's a painted blank you might try scraping it off under the tip-top.
Some builders will wrap thread under the tip-top -but you have to secure it to the blank so it just doesn't pull off - trickey.
I just apply the glue and make sure it is on straight.BTW - hope you are not using epoxy as glue.
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2019 10:41AM

Mike,
Like any time you machine cut tubing, you have a small crimp in the tube end, remove that and I think your small tip top will fit fine. I don't think a sixteenth would make any difference once glued on as it becomes a part of the rod's structure, like any other component does.

Posted by: Alex Weissman (---)
Date: November 28, 2019 10:45AM

I have a set of number drills that I use to slightly enlarge the tube. DO NOT USE A POWER DRILL FOR THIS, USE YOUR HAND.

Date: November 28, 2019 11:17AM

Herb - I’m not using epoxy. Just the normal tip top glue.

I tried taking a drill bit to clean out inside of the barrel. I think the 4.5 top has a longer barrel so as the rod diameter gets bigger it exceeds the barrel ID.

The blank is not painted. What if I sand the tip of the blank a little to fit the 4.5 all the way? I was going to wrap the top guide.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 28, 2019 01:04PM

Mike,
Very simple.
Use the larger tip. Then, use your wrapping thread to put one or more wraps on the top inch or so of the tip top to fill any space. Make sure that your hot melt glue is hot and coat the thread, to insure that the thread is well affixed to the tip. Then, heat up the guide tip, and the glue coated tip top and slip the tip in place. Nice and solid for many years to come.

I have done this many many times, especially when wrapping ice rods that may have a very small tip top n the blank. No failures to date over many years and many many rods.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2019 01:14PM

Do not sand the blank tip - no margin for error there.

Blank specs are target specs, any blank may vary by a half-64th and be considered normal.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---)
Date: November 29, 2019 01:48PM

Before I test the tip for fit I take a countersink bit and chamfer the inside end of the tube.

The results are twofold, first it removes any burrs from the end which could scratch the tip and second it will restore the true ID by removing any crimping formed by the manufacturing process.

If that does not help then use the oversize tip with the thread wrap.

You can use some 400 grit to gently remove any gloss from the tip.

Date: November 30, 2019 11:10AM

Roger - I think i got the problem solved. I did an under wrap and coated with the hot glue then placed the tip top in place as you advised. Seems to fit fine. Thanks for the simple solution!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster