I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

duplicate - packing to move
Posted by: Jay Weissler (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 11:22AM

How do you pack up your rod collection to move safely and space efficiently?

Fat ones, skinny ones, long ones, short ones....I don't even want to think about counting all the rods in my collection but there are a lot.

How do you box them up to move?

Thanks

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 11:23AM by Jay Weissler.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: duplicate - packing to move
Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 01:57PM

If you don't have cloth sacks or sleeves for each rod, ( All rods worthwhile should have one) then roll out a large blanket or flannel sheets and lay it out fully so all four corners are exposed , now pick either side and roll the blanket/sheets over each individual rod until it's covered fully and repeat with the next rod laying it right next to the first covered up one and continue . This will prevent rods from coming into contact with other rods and should hold a bunch depending on blanket size.

That's what i would do off the top of my head , sounds like it would work . I personally do not allow rods to contact other rods during transportation , i'm not a" Toss it in a pickup bed" kind of guy .

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 11:50PM

PVC Pipe with screw end cap on one end and bull cap on the other. You can get up 8" diameter pretty easy and put quite a few rods in it if you can find that size. You can use a little bubble wrap to keep them from clanking around in the tubes. I always transport mine in them. 4" size will fit most spinning rods and a 2" can hold up to three baitcaster rods. You won't have to worry about them getting bent or anything. Plumbers use the large diameter ones to carry smaller diameter tubes in them among other things. You will see them strapped to their vehicles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 11:53PM by Lance Schreckenbach.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.194.3.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: November 25, 2019 07:44AM

I packed mine up way differently. First things first, the rods go in the truck last. I take similar size rods and place them together so that the guides point outwards. I then take packing tape and wrap them at top, mid and bottom. I do this for all my rods on multiple moves. Nothing got damaged. Difference here is that the rods were the last on and first off the truck..no way for them to get crushed

If I was moving far and had to pack more concisely, then I would do the pvc pipe with end caps. Wrap in bubble wrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: November 25, 2019 11:27AM

Jay,
It sounds like you are taking about making a house move, where all of the home possessions are all being moved?

Then, the solution is simple. Pick up a golf club moving box that has extensible ends. Or pick up an 8 or 10 foot cardboard box that is long enough for your longest rod. Just lay all of your rods in the box, front to back and back to front. When you get close to the top, put a layer of bubble wrap over the box and take the lid on tightly. If you have more rods, pick up another box and repeat.

Of course, all of this rod packing is with no reels on the rod. Take the reels off of the rod, and if it is time to change line, strip the lines off of the reels, clean and lubricate them, loosen the drags and then store them all in a bag or box as needed.

There is really no need to put anything in between the rods because if the rods are nicely packed there will be no inter rod movement and will not mar up each other.

-----------------------------
If, however, you are talking about packing the rods that you have for a fishing trip where you will be using them on a daily basis, once you get to your destination, just pick up a 4 inch 10 foot thin wall dw pvc tube and a pair of 4 inch caps for the ends of the pipe.
Then, measure your longest rod you are going to pack and cut the belled out end of the pvc pipe off to be 4 inches longer than the longest rod you are going to transport. Normally, one 4 inch pvc tube can nicely hold 10-14 rods, depending on grip size and guide height.

Put your rods in a bundle, tip to grip and grip to tip. Then, slip the entire bundle into the pvc tube at the same time. Because all of the rods are all locked together in a single bundle, there will be no rod to rod movement and there is no need for any sort of packing or cushion material around the rods.

I have used both of these methods numerous times over the years and no marks or damage to any rod that was packed in this manner.

Take care

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster