I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap wire line
Posted by: Bill Break (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 23, 2019 10:06AM

Anyone build a spiral wrap rod for wire line dipsy divers? Also any blank recommendations Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap wire line
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 23, 2019 11:19AM

Every boat layout is a bit different and knowing if they are regular, or mag divers helps. If I could only pick one it would be the American Tackle 10 ft heavy surf blank, the MHX surf blanks have a comparable power blank that works well also, but I have't built, or been on a boat using them.
I used spiral wraps with Silicon Nitride guides on my wire rods. I spiral wrap all my boat rods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 11:29AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 23, 2019 12:03PM

With a hundred feet of wire pulling a half-pound dipsy diver it seems it would be difficult to detect the fight of a fish under 15# - but a stout rod and spinal guides will definitely make reeling your line in if you aren't using a reel powered by electricity.

Date: November 23, 2019 12:28PM

I have a 18 foot lund fisherman and run the large dipsys, not the mags. I have 9 foot rods now that need new guides. Was looking to build a couple of shorter rods using the Silicon Nitride guides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 23, 2019 07:08PM

Phil,
Once the fish trips the diver there is a lot less drag, a lot of it from your terminal tackle attached to the diver.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 24, 2019 08:13AM

Here is a couple of Batson blanks that might work for you.
RX7 Graphite SW967 1 pc or SW967F 2 pc, look here;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

RX4 Blended BP1025F, 2 pc, look here;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---)
Date: November 24, 2019 10:06AM

Spencer: I noticed this decrease in resistance after the dispy tripped. I was disappointed. At first I thought the fish was providing the resistance.

Date: November 24, 2019 11:51AM

Thanks Ron.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster