I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New International Sponsor
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2019 10:54AM

We have a new sponsor, in France, joining us today. The RodHouse is now listed as a sponsor in the list to the left, and you can also visit them via this link: [www.rodhouse.fr]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New International Sponsor
Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.coucou-networks.fr)
Date: November 22, 2019 12:23PM

Hi everyone! I'm glad we officially joined this great community.

For those of you who had an interest in the récent discussions about the availability of CCS measures of the blanks (and everyone else):

if you think objective data about the way a blank reacts to load is useful to compare and choose what to build, you're welcome to visit our website (in English).
You'll find there an exclusive blank comparator. It's an applet where you can visualize the curve of up to 4 blanks at the same time, under 4 different loads.
All curves are vectorised from actual photographs taken in the exact same way under controlled conditions. It's arguably more useful than AA and ERN.
Just browse our blank selection, and if you find something you like, click on the big blue "Add to blank comparator" buttton.
You can then access the comparator (link is on top of every page) and chose for each selected blank the loads (in grams) you want to see.
We've got many many blanks in the comparator, from NFC, Rainshadow, MHX, Phenix, CRB, T Russell / Matagi, Black Hole, and our own Rodbuilder's Republic models rolled to our specs by NFC.
Come have a look! It's useful wherever you are and for many rodbuilding projects!

[www.rodhouse.fr]

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Florent Caignol (---.dsl.scarlet.be)
Date: November 22, 2019 03:27PM

Here is an article, in English, explaining further the Rodhouse blank comparator, mentioned by Laurent.

Rodhouse Blog, how to use our blanks comparator: [www.rodhouse.fr]

RodHouse France - ProStaff

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 08:55PM

Hi,
I try to highlight a Batson blank to add to the comparator, but am unsuccessful. THE VIEW BUTTON DOES NOT SHOW UP ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE 2/3/4/ PIECE LISTINGS UNDER BATSON BLANKS. (WORKED FOR OTHER BRANDS THOUGH) Maybe you can help
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 11:02AM by Gary Weber.

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 10:23PM

Xxx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2019 02:02PM by Gary Weber.

Date: November 23, 2019 12:28AM

You're welcome!
It took a lot of work, it's good to see it being used.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---)
Date: November 23, 2019 06:43AM

Just want to say that they are great people to work with and have a very fast service and they are definitely my place in Europe to buy anything related with rodbuilding.
Keep the good work guys!

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: November 23, 2019 06:16PM

Laurent, I just want to welcome you to the site and say that your blank comparator is awesome !!! I truly mean that. I was using it to compare some blanks that I've already built on to each other, and it showed just what I expected it to show. It is a VERY useful tool to be sure, but I do have a few questions?

First, I am assuming the various loads are in grams? Is that correct? Also, logic would lead me to believe that there is a scale to the grid? If so, would you mind sharing what the scale is? Either in mm or inches, it doesn't matter.

Once again this is a great tool that a builder can use to get an idea of what the IP and AA of various blanks are. It may not allow a builder exact numbers, but it will definitely get them in the ball park All it would take is a little work and knowing what the scale of the grid is is.

Just a thought here .... if you had a line representing an unloaded blank, it would make it easier for a person using the comparator to judge the amount of vertical plane deflection of the blank being viewed or compared. I'm certainly not nit picking. This thing is great and it's helped me make a decision on a blank I am interested in building on.

Thanks again for offering it to the members of this site !!!

Posted by: Florent Caignol (109.143.122.---)
Date: November 24, 2019 06:38AM

Thanks for the kind words. The various loads are indeed in grams (1lb = 454 grams).
About the scale, we (Laurent or I) will check on Monday and we will get back to you. I believe it might be 6” but i am not sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 06:42AM by Florent Caignol.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (37.173.201.---)
Date: November 26, 2019 01:45AM

Hi David,
We really do appreciate the support, so thanks for the kind words.
The grid on the comparator I'd 17cm x 17cm, that is 6.9" x 6.9".
There's really no way to add the straight blanks, that would take dozens of hours. But if you think about it it wouldn't be very very useful.
To guesstimate AA and ERN is interesting obviously, but especially when you want to compare with a blank for which you have the numbers but which is not in our selection.
When comparing two blanks inside the comparator, you get more info looking directly at the curves, because those 4 loads will give you a sense of the dynamics.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2019 08:15AM

I would hesitate to say that looking at a curve, any curve, somehow provides more information than AA and ERN - It would be like trying to estimate how long a blank is or how much it weighs by looking at a picture of it.

It's probably better to say that the photo curves supply additional, different information, and as we know, more information is always good.

Date: November 26, 2019 04:25PM

Given that AA is an angle you can eyeball it, provided you find a curve where the tip looks like a 1/3 of the length down. Then the comparator gives you the weight needed to get such a deflection.
So I must disagree here, in your analogy you would have to merely invent missing data, it's not at all the case here.
Does it provide accurate CCS? No.
Does it give info similar in kind ? I argue that it does.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2019 04:27PM by Laurent Keiff.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster