I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Silk thread strength
Posted by: Brett Mahoney (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2019 11:59PM

I have always been a fan of rods where the threads disappear into the blank. My last couple builds have been RODgeeks blanks in a darker more natural color with silk thread that disappears so it all looks like one color. All the rods I have used silk on have been lite weight rods. I am looking at building a little bit heaver 12-25lb rod and want to have the same style with clear threads but I am unsure of the limits of silk thread. How strong is it? How heavy of an application can I get out of it? Should I double wrap my guides in the heavier application?

Thanks

Re: Silk thread strength
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 12:52AM

Silk thread is stronger than nylon, and there multiple diameters of silk thread, use a heavier thread on the heavier rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 21, 2019 01:04AM

Remember the strength of the thread times the number of thread wraps is the ultimate strength, well more than the strength of the blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2019 08:09AM

Generally, double wrapping isn't done to add strength to the wrap, but rather to add wrap durability against scrapes, cuts, wear, etc. I will tend to start making double wraps on any rod rated in the 50lb class or above.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 12:33PM

I have always been a fan of the rod with the smallest amount of leveraged weight, especially fly rods, where leveraged weight is least desirable. Others prefer embellishment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster