I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Andrew Trostle (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2019 09:30PM

Looking to build a few new casting rods over the winter and thought Id reach out for some suggestions other than whats become a recent favorite blank. I’m looking for a Medium Power - Extra Fast Action Blank capable of handling 10-12lb line and is roughly 6’8” in length. Lure rating around a 1/2 oz. Will be used for jigging stripers, but looking for something closer to a smallmouth setup than an inshore setup. Recently I’ve been building on the Rainshadow Revelation REVC68MXF blank but am looking for some other options at a similar price point. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2019 09:33PM by Andrew Trostle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 20, 2019 11:45PM

MHX, mag xf.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2019 08:10AM

Andrew - Here is a link to the blanks that Spencer mentioned [www.mudhole.com] Thank You

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 21, 2019 11:05AM

The Revelation model you picked would work.

We’d also recommend our RX6 MB843 - [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---)
Date: November 21, 2019 01:10PM

Can't go wrong with the Rainshadows.

[getbitoutdoors.com]

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: John Bonior (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 21, 2019 01:55PM

Look at Rod Geeks. You can also get it in any color combination you would like. I am nothing but pleased with mine

Posted by: Andrew Trostle (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 08:59PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to have to give a few of these a try. I was intrigued by Taipan blanks as well, but haven’t had much luck getting my hands on one to build.

Anyone have any first hand experience or thoughts on how sensitive one blank is vs another without me building and fishing them?

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: November 21, 2019 11:52PM

I have been exceptionally pleased with RodGeeks as well , if Batson ever makes an immortal that's 8 feet in length and can handle 1-3 oz i would jump on it but no dice at this point . Speaking of the Immortals , under Popping blanks if you click on features etc ... it says Immortals come in fast and X tra fast actions but none do , they only offer moderate fast sp it must be a misprint .

I would also jump on the new surf rods but all are moderate fast , offer at least one or two in fast action and i would jump on it . Looking for something in the 10 foot to 11 foot range 1-4 oz or 2-4 that weighs in the 6 to 7 oz range .

Can't go wrong with any of the recommendations so the OP has plenty of choices.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 10:32AM

herb canter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Speaking of the
> Immortals , under Popping blanks if you click on
> features etc ... it says Immortals come in fast
> and X tra fast actions but none do , they only
> offer moderate fast sp it must be a misprint .

Thanks for mentioning that Herb, easy fix. The spreadsheet portion tells the truth on what they’re action is, which is what most people tend to look at when looking for specific models.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-240-139.myvzw.com)
Date: November 22, 2019 10:56AM

Fuji Point Blank are awesome blanks as is NFC. They both have blanks in or near the size you are looking for. I will usually trim off up to 3" of the butt to get the desired length, if I have to.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster